Advise for a beginner

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
MrLucky
Petty Officer

RE:Advise for a beginner

Post by MrLucky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 am

Great advice here. I have only two things to add.

1) Keep an eye on craigslist. I stumbled into a guy selling off a big box of great materials and basic tools for $20 bucks that got me started in style. That said, I don't agree that cheap materials are the best way to start. With low quality fur and feathers your flies will never quite look like the pictures and you'll get frustrated.

2) For some elegant techniques, check out Davie McPhail on YouTube. His flies are not always appropriate for our area, but he is a tying perfectionist and his videos are clear and straightforward. Marvel at his flies, laugh at his accent.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of luck, and I got 'em both.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:35 am

Does anyone have a good work station/desk/table they bought or made that is worth buying/building? I checked out cabelas and they had one with semi decent reviews. When I was younger I was once told "If I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it right!"

Any ideas?

Thank you men!

Seth
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:47 pm

I have and have had for the last 30 years, an inexpensive, formica surfaced dinette table. It has a white smooth surface which is easy to clean and you can see the materials on it clearly (small hooks, beads, etc.) You can pick these things up at a thrift store or goodwill for next to nothing. If your table is going to be in a nice visible room like the living room, you'll probably want to go with a better looking oak or maple table.

My table is in my office downstairs. No decorating requirements in that room! I have my T.V. and stereo in there and good lighting. It's my get away area.[wink]

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:I have and have had for the last 30 years, an inexpensive, formica surfaced dinette table. It has a white smooth surface which is easy to clean and you can see the materials on it clearly (small hooks, beads, etc.) You can pick these things up at a thrift store or goodwill for next to nothing. If your table is going to be in a nice visible room like the living room, you'll probably want to go with a better looking oak or maple table.

My table is in my office downstairs. No decorating requirements in that room! I have my T.V. and stereo in there and good lighting. It's my get away area.[wink]
It sounds like your "man cave" is missing one thing... A little refer with some cold ones! :)

Fetha Styx Associate

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 pm

LOL, If I had one in my man cave, it would be empty. I gave that stuff up decades ago.:) I kick back, put on some good tunes and tie away, sipping on my cup of Yuban. My flies look a whole lot better than they did "back in the fun :shaking2: years".
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:16 am

HAHA thats hilarious!

Fetha Styx Associate

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:28 pm

LOL. Yes man caves are a good thing. Don't have one myself, maybe one of these days.

I completely agree with others about good lighting and Marc's white tying surface idea too.
White is by far the best color to have below where you are tying for visibility purposes IMO. Formica cleans easily plus is fairly durable and cheap as Marc mentioned.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

I'll post a picture of my "man cave" tying table. LOL[laugh]
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:53 pm

I ordered the vise you guys said, the tool kit from cabelas (just went on sale two days ago) and a magnifing lamp from Joann's Craft store (50% off sale ended saturday and ordered it in the nick of time!).

Im looking forward for your pic marc! A table/desk is my next mission! :).... I already have the refer in the man cave along with a stereo and a tv! :)

Fetha Styx Associate

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:46 pm

Sounds great!!! Your wife will miss you......[crying]

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Sounds great!!! Your wife will miss you......[crying]
Doubt it! :) With my schedule I have plenty of time off when she is working, which is why fishing is something that nearly always fits into my schedule.. At least can 20 days a month! :)

Fetha Styx Associate

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:16 pm

Below are some photos of my tying table. I have used it for over 30 years. The drawer sets are extremely handy for both materials and for storing flies.

Good lighting is must. I went to the magnifying lamp about 15 years ago when my eyes started to get weak. It takes some getting used to, but it really helps when tying smaller flies. The round fluorescent bulb is nice because it doesn't cast any shadows.

The smooth white table top is great for seeing small items. In the photo, you see a #16 hook next to my bobbin.

Remember, keep ALL of your furs and feathers in a zip lock bag in a drawer. This is very important. If a fly lays eggs in a saddle patch, your entire collection of furs and hackle could be ruined by eggs hatching into maggots. Also, if any mice find your tying station, it is nesting heaven for them. Keep everything sealed up tight. Zip lock bags are cheap, Metz Premium #1 Grade necks aren't!

Many years ago, I put all my hooks in compartment cases. That eliminates searching through endless boxes of hooks. Buy the box that has the molded dividers in place, not adjustable ones you slide in. The hooks will slide under the dividers if they are not molded in.
Attachments
Hooks_2.JPG
Hooks_2.JPG (180.44 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
White_Surface.JPG
White_Surface.JPG (104.14 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
bags.JPG
bags.JPG (176.02 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Drawers.JPG
Drawers.JPG (223.26 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Tying_Station.JPG
Tying_Station.JPG (181.43 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Oh, Come on now Marc. Now you're just showing off [thumbsup]
Seriously though it looks like you've had many years practice and truly know what you're doing.

I'm into the minimalist look, here's mine...

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Very Nice Marc! It appears like I have some work to do! Well I guess its better to say I have years to accomplish what your desk looks like! You appear to be a perfectionist... As am I! :)

Big D... Im in your boat now! Just a box of materials! LOL!

Fetha Styx Associate

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey, there is nothing wrong with small. Big D, your box is very well organized.[wink]

What you see in the pictures is not all of it. I have a plastic tub with necks in it and three more units of drawers. Sometimes I look at all of it and wonder how I got so much "stuff"[rolleyes] It is collecting materials a bit at a time for over 30 years. The nice thing about it is if I see a pattern that I like, I most likely have the materials to tie it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm

And today, I went over to Wholesale Sports and bought $50.00 worth of more "stuff".#-o Two necks and one package of rabbit.[rolleyes] It came down stairs without my wife knowing it.

Another tip, don't tell your other half what you are spending on materials.:-$ If she is like my wife, her reply will be, "You spent how much on a dead animal!!!![scared]

Quietly rat hole the money and then go out and buy it when you have it saved up. It really keeps peace in the house.[thumbup]

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:And today, I went over to Wholesale Sports and bought $50.00 worth of more "stuff". Two necks and one package of rabbit. It came down stairs without my wife knowing it.Another tip, don't tell your other half what you are spending on materials. If she is like my wife, her reply will be, "You spent how much on a dead animal!!!!
Quietly rat hole the money and then go out and buy it when you have it saved up. It really keeps peace in the house.
Marc,
Talk about keeping the peace.
My only hope is that when I die, my wife doesn’t sell my things for what I told her that I paid for them…
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 pm

LOL

I told my wife when I die, DON'T GIVE IT TO GOODWILL!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:LOL

I told my wife when I die, DON'T GIVE IT TO GOODWILL!
At least that is a charity.:thumright

Would love to one day run into a Goodwill and see some beautful grizzly necks with fine long size 20 hackles streaming off the upper sides for $5 each!!![drool] [-o<

You do have a nice organized collection there Marc! Seeing all the Mustad hook #s brings back memories of tying/selling flies to pay for buying tying materials (a vicious break-even circle it seemed).

Don't get out to flyfish much any more. Don't hardly tie at all any more either. Maybe when I get older and WHEN (not if LOL) I retire[-o< You guys do have some beautiful cutthroat out there.:cheers:
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:54 pm

You do know, that you don't have to fly fish to tie flies. Years ago in Spokane, there was a tier who created some of the most beautiful flies ever. The business name was Terry Tyed Flys. It was owned by a woman named Virginia Splawn who had a fly tying business and also bred and groomed dogs. She tied flies for over 60 years.

She started tying flies to entertain herself while she was on a fishing trip with her husband. She never fly fished and had no interest in ever starting. She just loved tying flies.

In my book, she is "The Master" of fly tying.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/j ... t-friendly
Attachments
Terry_Tied_Flies.jpg
Terry_Tied_Flies.jpg (57.09 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”