My first attempt

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

My first attempt

Post by Toni » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:38 am

I wanted to try a white woolly bugger to maybe imitate a maggot. But this is my first attempt at intruder flies. I ended up not having all the proper materials so I used what I had.
Attachments
woolly_resize_12.jpg
woolly_resize_12.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
intruder__resize_14.jpg
intruder__resize_14.jpg (55.69 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BentRod
Admiral

RE:My first attempt

Post by BentRod » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:46 am

Nice Toni!

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Looks good for a first try. Next time, Tie the bugger on a slightly longer shank and shorten the hackle and tail a bit. If you leave the tail long, the fish will grab more of the tail and less of the hook, resulting in more missed fish.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 pm

they both look good. I would use the "maggot" for crappie's.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

very nice! Sure as hell beats my first attempts lol.
i was tieing clouser's for a couple weeks, didn't attempt the intruders til several months afterr.
peacock hurl is very fragile and doesn't quite pulsate in the water like other materials. Try out ostrich plumes or lady amherst for the intruder.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm

ckim85 wrote:very nice! Sure as hell beats my first attempts lol.
i was tieing clouser's for a couple weeks, didn't attempt the intruders til several months afterr.
peacock hurl is very fragile and doesn't quite pulsate in the water like other materials. Try out ostrich plumes or lady amherst for the intruder.

I sat down to tie the woolly bugger but I had, I thought, all the materials to tie an intruder. So I found online a small clip on someone tying one. As I started I realized that I didn't have all the items. So I used what I had. Peacock. I also didn't cut the pheasant. I used it whole. I wanted more color so I added the marabou. That is the result. A spider throwing up.

But looking at it I understand why they call it an intruder. It is something that will invade the sanctuary of the fish...an intruder. My fly is certainly that. If it doesn't scare them away.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:40 pm

you should see some of the intruders Ed Ward and Jerry French tie up. You would think they're the size of small trout. 6"+. They are definitely a lot of fun to tie up.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”