Homemade rotary vise with pics

Post Fly patterns, photos and directions here
reelman
Warrant Officer

Homemade rotary vise with pics

Post by reelman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 pm

I think I'll be able to sleep now. This is what has kept my brain busy for the last 2 months. I knew I wanted a rotary vise like the Nor Vise, but I won't be buying one of those until some more important things are bought and paid for first. I made this with $8 in brass stock, parts from an old copy machine, and off the shelf plumbing components. Not counting hours of sleep lost as I assembled it in my head, 8 hours and about $20.
Still some work to do on the base, but it's too late to break out the belt sander in this little 3rd floor apartment. Also need to get a thread post made, but that's the easy part.
Attachments
P1050307.JPG
P1050307.JPG (97.37 KiB) Viewed 7248 times
P1050308.JPG
P1050308.JPG (98.93 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
P1050309.JPG
P1050309.JPG (75.95 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
P1050310.JPG
P1050310.JPG (76.4 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Homemade rotary vise with pics

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 am

[thumbup] Looks like it will work, nice job!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:57 pm

NICE!
I had to help the Nor Vise creator's son chop 3 chords of madrona (glad they had a pool) to get a small version of the Nor Vise, also got a NICE invite to go flyfishing in Montana, and a hand-me-down trout fly rod too! Very much worth the wood chopping and then some.
Still remember that, it was the summer of 1985...(#-o that long ago?)
Norm took me and my friend (his son) to Montana for flyfishing and the FFF after it was chopped up.
Won't ever forget that fun on the trip. His son did most of the heavy chopping anyways :-" :-$ .

The coolest part was the Nor Vises were so popular at the FFF conclave that he sold out and asked if he could sell mine (small one) and he'd get me a better one when we got back. Sure enough, we get back, he made some more, and he gave me a nicer one :cheers:

Most of my fishing was done with his son though. We have some interesting Blue Creek (and other places) stories from years past. A little spooky, we almost went down to Blue Creek for winter steel when that massive slide happened and it was right where we'd drift fish corkies and yarn. Hope to hook up with his son when I get closer to retiring (a long ways off still unfortunately).

Thanx for that memory trip! And very cool personal model U have.

The Nor Vise I have still works great but I don't get around to tying much anymore. Great for tube flies, woolly buggers, and streamers. He's a good guy.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Have you ever used the automatic bobbin? Good, bad, so-so?

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Marc, I like them a lot to free up the hands more but it does take just a little getting used to it (like pulling the thread out a bit to get it to 'grab' so you can let go of it and have it hold). I am also using a real old model so not sure but it may have been improved from what I have. Once I got used to it, I pretty much tied with it from there on out.

PS- assuming that question was meant for me? Either way, I like the bobbins. Also, I sometimes liked to tie with black Nymo thread (I think waxed?) cuz it seemed strong. Don't think I have any of it anymore or if it is even available. Probably is somewhere, not sure how expensive.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:18 pm

If I'm ever broke down in the back country I want you on my side! Good job.

gdrees
Angler

Post by gdrees » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Just now saw this entry in the forums. Do you have any detailed instructions on the how-to-build one for my own use?

Thanks. Gene

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:10 pm

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch Norm tying at the Great Western Sportfishing Show in Spokane a couple of years ago. He tied his mayfly and gave it to me. I still have it. He's a real gentleman and he created and awesome vise. Unfortunately it's forever out of my price range, but worth the money.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:36 pm

gdrees wrote:Just now saw this entry in the forums. Do you have any detailed instructions on the how-to-build one for my own use?

Thanks. Gene
Sure. Go to Goodwill and get a pair of inline skates. Next, head to the hardware store and buy a 3/4" brass T. Find a metal supplier; purchase some 1" bar stock, about 5" long. I next raided my "just in case I need it later" junk pile and found hardened, stainless steel bars 1/4" in diameter. I purchased a tap and die set from harbor freight (had to return one because it snapped off in some really mild brass). Scrounge some Corian remnants for the base. I used a 6" X 1/2" brass nipple for the post and attatched it using a 1/2 to 3/4 reducer. I used 1/8" #6/20 set screws (3). I borrowed a friends milling machine to assemble the "head"; we milled the through-ends of the T to accept the inline skate bearings. The rest of the work I did on my Shopsmith or used my Dremel. The hardest part is the part that grabs the hook. I'm still working on a better way to handle it.
The rest is pretty easy to figure out from the photos, but if you need more, I'll be happy to help.
I have to go build a chicken coop now. The chickens are stinking up my mud room and the in-laws are coming in the morning.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

Return to “The Vise - Fly Patterns, Tying, Swap Events”