Alaska Halibut Fishing Trip

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
For Reel
Petty Officer

Alaska Halibut Fishing Trip

Post by For Reel » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:10 pm

So, lets say I wanted to started thinking ahead and plan an Alaskan Halibut trip or a Halibut combo trip. I've always wanted to visit our northern state but don't really know where to the best place to fish, or where to start looking

Anyone on here done anything like this?

If so what was experience like? Did you catch a lot of nice fish? What are the limits?

Did you stay at a lodge with a charter available?

Any intel with be appreciated!!! Thanks

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Alaska Halibut Fishing Trip

Post by downriggeral » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Sitka is a great place to start. Check out the guides and lodges there.
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

rwl
Petty Officer

Post by rwl » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:14 am

If you are interested in doing a self-guided trip for halibut you might look into coffman cove on Prince of Wales Island. I think that most people who do this know about it from word of mouth. The disadvantage is that it is harder to get to. You need to take a ferry or a float plane to get to Prince of Wales. There are a couple of outfits that rents skiffs including Coffman Cove Bunkhouses. Their smaller skiffs are $100 per day and there are larger boats for up to $400 per day. Splitting the costs between 3 anglers and it is pretty inexpensive. The daily limit is 2 in SE Alaska on unguided trips. I've caught them up to the 40 lb range and occasionally they get 100 pounders, but a good keeper would be in the 20-30 pound range.

I've done charters in Yakutat and Sitka, and generally the will get you on fish, often much larger ones, but using light tackle from a small boat is a lot more fun. PM me if you want any other info or are looking for an additional person.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Not to mention, if you eat fish, you dont want gigantic halibut anyway. 40-60 pounders are perfect.

For Reel
Petty Officer

Post by For Reel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:33 pm

downriggeral wrote:Sitka is a great place to start. Check out the guides and lodges there.

Thanks…Do you have any recommendations?

For Reel
Petty Officer

Post by For Reel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 pm

rwl wrote:If you are interested in doing a self-guided trip for halibut you might look into coffman cove on Prince of Wales Island. I think that most people who do this know about it from word of mouth. The disadvantage is that it is harder to get to. You need to take a ferry or a float plane to get to Prince of Wales. There are a couple of outfits that rents skiffs including Coffman Cove Bunkhouses. Their smaller skiffs are $100 per day and there are larger boats for up to $400 per day. Splitting the costs between 3 anglers and it is pretty inexpensive. The daily limit is 2 in SE Alaska on unguided trips. I've caught them up to the 40 lb range and occasionally they get 100 pounders, but a good keeper would be in the 20-30 pound range.

I've done charters in Yakutat and Sitka, and generally the will get you on fish, often much larger ones, but using light tackle from a small boat is a lot more fun. PM me if you want any other info or are looking for an additional person.

Good Stuff! I'm thinking I might want to take a charter. For the simple fact I've never fished for halibut.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:29 am

My brother in law says Cook Inlet is good in late may early june for combo halibut and Kings.

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”