Alaska Arctic Grayling

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Alaska Arctic Grayling

Post by raffensg64 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:12 am

Since leaving WA in March 2011 for AK, I suffered through several weeks of cold, snow, ice and cabin fever. All I was able to do was check in on my WALakes family from time to time, checking fishing reports on all my favorite lakes and spending some time on the forums.

The ice lasted a couple weeks longer this year than usual, but when it finally disappeared I hit a couple local lakes. The fishing was incredibly slow but I did manage my first arctic char. Just like eastern WA rainbows, these fish are fans of chironomids. While it was awesome to catch a new species, I knew I was still suffering WA state withdrawal symptoms! A half dozen char over three days does not even come close to what I remember from Amber, Medical, W. Medical, Coffeepot, etc.

However, all the withdrawal, frustration and cabin fever was erased in a 2 hour period today, when I made my first fishing trip to an ice-free stream known as Piledriver Slough! Located just 7-8 miles from the house, it has earned a special place in my heart! Just a week ago it was high and muddy from the run-off. But today it was crystal clear and full of grayling that had moved up from the Tanana River. These fish are voracious, fearless and make cutthroat trout look picky! Not only did I get my first arctic grayling, I got my first 50. No kidding, in just a 50 yard stretch of river, it was fish after fish after fish. My little 8' 3-weight was doubled up all afternoon as grayling from 10-16" attacked any nymph thrown their way! They're the ultimate beginner fish, easy to catch and forgiving of presentation. If I had stayed I could have had an honest 100 fish day! Incredibly, if I found a dozen fish in a seam I could literally catch every of them. When that hole died, I'd move 10-15 yards to the next and start over again!

Sorry no pics......I had no idea what i was going to find. I WILL have a camera next trip!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Alaska Arctic Grayling

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 20, 2011 7:11 pm

yep they're fun and thick. they fill every ditch, pond and river north of the border! when I spent my summers there I always kept a 5wt in the trunk and fished some places no one would believe.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Post by yooper_fisher » Fri May 20, 2011 9:13 pm

That's awesome raffensg! Grayling are def on my bucket list of fish to catch.

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Fri May 20, 2011 10:11 pm

That's great you finally were able to get out and catch some fish.. You will get bored with catching that many fish. grayling in Alaska are like bluegills are to the lower 48, fun for awhile, but you get bored real quick.

Like when I was fishing for bonefish on Christmas Island,, catching 50 bonefish in one day was exciting for the first few days then you wanted to catch something a little more challenging.

Glad to hear you finally were able to get on the water.. Read my Lake Newman report when it gets posted and you will see my first tiger musky on the fly. It didn't fight as well as I hoped,, but it is a tiger musky. Hopefully when a catch a larger one, the battle will be a little more exciting.

Kevin

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”