Where to go in Oregon?

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
onlymercury
Petty Officer

Where to go in Oregon?

Post by onlymercury » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Looking to head down to Oregon with a couple of friends to do some fly fishing, and possibly some white water rafting in about 2 weeks. Was wondering if anybody from the state or experience in the state knows of any good rivers I could hit up to do both. I guess I'm leaning towards the deschutes, but was wondering if there were any places closer to portland that may be a good option? As far as fishing goes, I'm looking to target trout (including summer steelies). I've been on Westfly and a have checked other sources and can't seem to decide. Recommended lodging would be appreciated as well.

guitarfisher
Petty Officer

RE:Where to go in Oregon?

Post by guitarfisher » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Look into the Metolius River on the edge of the high desert area east of Mt. Hood.
Jeff

“I am haunted by waters.”--Norman Maclean

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:08 am

I used to hammer the Summer run out of the Clackamas river from Oregon City up. Check out McCiver Park (SP?) outside Estacada. My biggest metal head came from there it was a little over 23 lbs... If you want to have a trip that will really rock throw in some spinning gear and head to Kimberly Or. it is outside Fossil. There are trout, steelies, and tons of smallmouth up to 22". I have had many 100+ fish days on that stretch of the John Day River. There are also reasonable rated white water trips.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

onlymercury
Petty Officer

Post by onlymercury » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:47 am

I was actually looking at the clackamas as a destination. I've heard they get a pretty good run of summer steelies and it's already started. Was thinking maybe of hitting the clack or possibly even the white salmon for some good white water. And Im definately going to bring my spin gear because my fly rod is only a six weight, though it should be good for most summer steelies, if i hook into a twenty plus pounder like you did i need more backbone.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 am

The Clackamas has a trout population also. I killed fish on that river drifting crawlers on lighter gear. Up above Estacada there are camp sites where the resivours are on the upper Clackamas. There is a ton of river access on the Clack with half the combat fishing! If you want more info send me a personal message and I will helf you out the best I can. The coastal rivers are great right now in Oregon also...
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:11 pm

The Umpquah River is excellent for salmon and steel.I have friends who fish that river and swear by it.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”