greetings from the sunny las vegas desert

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

greetings from the sunny las vegas desert

Post by christopherbeebe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

hey everyone its been awhile, just dropping a line to say hi to everyone on wl.com all iz well out here in the desert, but i miss the saltwater and river action, and pretty much everything else about the northwest. but i've been getting my fishing on here, hittin lake mead and the urban ponds around town, i have yet to get that trophy striper but the channel catfish, largemouth bass, dink striper and carp action has kept me busy throughout the summer, and with fall finaly upon us, they will start the trout stocking program again here next month, lots of fun fast action. looking forward to the upcoming cooler weather. here are a few photos from earlier this year. lots of love and respect from the desert southwest. keep them lines tight and rods bent.

Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

dicinu
Commander

RE:greetings from the sunny las vegas desert

Post by dicinu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm

hello from washington I just moved from vegas less then a year ago. I know a few spots to fish out there one is government wash @ lake mead best way to get there is the north East side lakemead I forget which one is ave and which is blvd ... and the other hide out for trout cats and bass was in a golf course off of american parkway I will have to call I believe thats the name of the street in boulder city....

which park was that looks like lorenzi park? and the other sunset or tule springs
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Chris, in the third picture, is that Lake Mead? Looking at the background, is the defined line on the hillside the high water mark? I've heard that it was down quite a bit, but that is crazy![blink]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:27 am

hey thanks for checking in and sharing some pictures. The prediction is for a rainy cold winter up here so enjoy your moderate temps down in Vegas!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:12 am

Marc Martyn wrote:Chris, in the third picture, is that Lake Mead? Looking at the background, is the defined line on the hillside the high water mark? I've heard that it was down quite a bit, but that is crazy![blink]
Two years ago I went to a conference in Vegas, rented a car and took a daytrip up to Mead. Stopped in Echo Bay for lunch and was talking to the locals. Said the water hasn't reached near the high water mark is quite some time. Looks about the same as when I was there.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Chris, in the third picture, is that Lake Mead? Looking at the background, is the defined line on the hillside the high water mark? I've heard that it was down quite a bit, but that is crazy![blink]
yes that is the high water mark i estimate the water mark is about 250 feet from the waters surface, if u think that is crazy? that harbor is no longer there it is just a puddle of mud and debris now and that pic was taken in may. the lake drops over a foot a week. the lake is at 40% capacity almost no longer sustainable
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:41 pm

opps double post sorry:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 pm

I saw on the news this last year that the water level is becoming a big concern. There is a marina on the lake where the owners have moved it three times. They said that if they had to move it again, they would be closing because they can't afford to do it again. This may be the marina.
Attachments
Lake_Mead_Marina_1.tiff.jpg
Lake_Mead_Marina_1.tiff.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 4907 times

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:00 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:47 am

Marc Martyn wrote:I saw on the news this last year that the water level is becoming a big concern. There is a marina on the lake where the owners have moved it three times. They said that if they had to move it again, they would be closing because they can't afford to do it again. This may be the marina.
that looks like the callville bay marina on the north end of the lake, that marina was almost wiped out by a flash flood last week, over 1,000,000 dollars in damage and the clean up continues still no power. the water is a HUGE concern... the lake changes everytime i go out there. we need help not only for our fishery (which we the fishermen come last for water rights) but for our livelyhood here in the desert. there is talk of change in the wind but it may be too little, too late for us. only time will tell
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:29 am

the drought is no doubt not good for vegas or cali as we sell I believe more then half of out power the dam produces to the state of california and they in-turn sell it back to use for a higher rate. different story all together but yeah I seen the lake at it's highest and left when almost at it's lowest. I blame construction as the construction boomed the lake kept dropping now the construction slowed down the lake shouldn't have dropped so far this year. I will read up on it I remeber jumpping off the cliffs when I was younger and in highschool now you can see the rocks we were dodging out of the water. the water company was tring it's best to help by paying home owners to remove grass and add rocks for a desert landscape. But the quality of water for drinking should make people conserve as it is with a tds of 200-450 at the house I lived in in spring valley and also North las vegas. bot the best drinking water. washington water is spring water compaired to las vegas.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:03 pm

dicinu wrote: which park was that looks like lorenzi park? and the other sunset or tule springs
that is sunset park on the northend of the pond, one of 2 that day taken this past spring on a shaky head jig with a yum creature. i have fished government wash at lake mead too i usually go out to hemmingway harbor though. i also go to 33 hole when i'm up for a hike, thats part of government wash. and i fished boulder harbor alot thats where all the lake mead pix are from, but that hole is no longer there, now its just a weedy mud hole filled with cement blocks, sunk boats, broken glass and old tractor tires. i first fished boulder harbor in march, got the stripers shown, 8 months and 30+ feet of water later its gone....
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Re: greetings from the sunny las vegas desert

Post by christopherbeebe » Tue May 08, 2012 6:21 pm

well hello again from the Dusty southwest! its been awhile since I touched base so I thought I would drop a line on here. All is well here still I've been gettin better at catchin stripers, catfish, and carp my biggest striper is 24" and 4 1/2 lbs pictured below. hope all is well with everyone here, still missin that salt air out there. since the beginning of this post Lake mead has risen over 40 feet it stopped rising in January and has been dropping once again. we need a good snow pack this year or we are gonna see super low levels again by next summer. well take care all until my next posting. I'll be on the water! :fish:

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: greetings from the sunny las vegas desert

Post by The Quadfather » Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm

Nice to hear from you again, Christopher. I'm always jealous when I see different looking species from what we have here.
(The Stryper I'm refering to) There is a section on this website now for Out of State reports. You should keep us informed on what your'e doing. :salut:

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”