Rod building kit

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Rod building kit

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 pm

I am going to be building a 5 wt. fly in March via Gregg's Custom Rods, in Lake Stevens. I was wondering if anyone here has ever purchased one of the rod building kits that are available on the market? There are a few available, but I was looking at the CRB kits available via Mudhole.com. Gregg's lets you take the class and then drop in and work on your project any time the store is open. I was considering setting up a work space in my garage as well. I have purchasd a BlueHalo fiberglass blank.
Another forum member here built the same in a 3 wt. I was highly impressed with it.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Rod building kit

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:52 pm

At one point I dried out some black bamboo to make poles out of then bagged the idea. Still might at some point... The idea of building a rod 'specific' to my wants is still appealing. It seems like I can't get exactly what I want in one unless I have one built. The problem is, at least in the last few years, is I keep breaking them. Gets expensive if it is a nice pole! The $20 ones don't hurt quite so bad!

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:44 am

I have built several rods and prefer buying separate components rather than a kit. The reason is I can get exactly what I want for guides, thread color, and handle options. The kit may be a bit less expensive to purchase. The last one I built was a 7 foot, 1-4lb test St Croix spinning rod. It is black with black thread, call it my stealth rod. So much fun to fish with, looking forward to the next build.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 am

I want that one! Where do you buy your components?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

eat-sleep-fish wrote:I have built several rods and prefer buying separate components rather than a kit. The reason is I can get exactly what I want for guides, thread color, and handle options. The kit may be a bit less expensive to purchase. The last one I built was a 7 foot, 1-4lb test St Croix spinning rod. It is black with black thread, call it my stealth rod. So much fun to fish with, looking forward to the next build.
Eat/sleep/fish,
I agree in regards to kits that are full of the working parts.
I was referring to a specific rod building kit that only contains the items such as the turning mechanism that your rod rotates on when wrapping, etc. plus the basic tools/etc.
I am purchasing all the components of the rod separately.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Sorry Quadfather, I misunderstood. My father actually built the turning machine for me, nothing fancy but gets the job done. TrackerPro - Anglers Workshop has an excellent selection of blanks and components for anything you would like to build.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Quad, if you're looking for a spinning fixture for building, you're handy enough to make one easy. Pick up a clock motor, they're super cheap, 110 volt and make some simple fixtures to rest the rod in. Clock motor is cheap geared motor that spins at 1 rpm. Most HW stores should have one kicking around. The rest is in your head. [biggrin]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Bodofish wrote:Quad, if you're looking for a spinning fixture for building, you're handy enough to make one easy. Pick up a clock motor, they're super cheap, 110 volt and make some simple fixtures to rest the rod in. Clock motor is cheap geared motor that spins at 1 rpm. Most HW stores should have one kicking around. The rest is in your head. [biggrin]
Bodo,
Oh man... don't remind me of the smart thing to do. ](*,)

You are talking to the guy who, ....(I know you remember this).....
Nov. 2009, started building a 12' wooden boat in the garage.
Well, one thing led to another, and 8 years and 2 months later that wooden boat is/was lying in the same spot on garage floor.
Lost my mojo.. couldn't get around to completing it. 80% finished.

Last night, GAVE IT AWAY! [-( [-( Along with the Sony tuner/speaks, etc.
Like taking a dog out to be put down. About cried.

But hey! I got lots of room now to build fly rods.
Not to mention, did wind up with a Ford Expedition Extended length model.
Even was able to put a 12 wooden boat in the back of that vehicle, with only about 2' sticking out rear!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:18 am

The Quadfather wrote:
Bodofish wrote:Quad, if you're looking for a spinning fixture for building, you're handy enough to make one easy. Pick up a clock motor, they're super cheap, 110 volt and make some simple fixtures to rest the rod in. Clock motor is cheap geared motor that spins at 1 rpm. Most HW stores should have one kicking around. The rest is in your head. [biggrin]
Bodo,
Oh man... don't remind me of the smart thing to do. ](*,)

You are talking to the guy who, ....(I know you remember this).....
Nov. 2009, started building a 12' wooden boat in the garage.
Well, one thing led to another, and 8 years and 2 months later that wooden boat is/was lying in the same spot on garage floor.
Lost my mojo.. couldn't get around to completing it. 80% finished.

Last night, GAVE IT AWAY! [-( [-( Along with the Sony tuner/speaks, etc.
Like taking a dog out to be put down. About cried.

But hey! I got lots of room now to build fly rods.
Not to mention, did wind up with a Ford Expedition Extended length model.
Even was able to put a 12 wooden boat in the back of that vehicle, with only about 2' sticking out rear!
Oh no!!! Does that mean you're no longer the quad???? Sorry to hear about the boat, the last 20% is really like the last 80%. So much sanding and filling and sanding and painting and sanding and painting......... The cutting and gluing and screwing really goes pretty fast, not to mention it's instant gratification and we know, we all crave that! Do you still have the HVLP sprayer? I know someone that may take that off your hands as he's about to start a refinish on a wood boat......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Yea, the kits have the basics of what you need, if you want fancy stuff you buy separate. I built my first rod where I bought the blank seperate but had a kit for the guides, turned out great, still use the rod to this day. Looks kinda bad, but it fishes great.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:02 pm

natetreat wrote:Yea, the kits have the basics of what you need, if you want fancy stuff you buy separate. I built my first rod where I bought the blank seperate but had a kit for the guides, turned out great, still use the rod to this day. Looks kinda bad, but it fishes great.
[biggrin] In the end, it's all that really matters!