Garmin Handheld GPS

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Garmin Handheld GPS

Post by TyeeMatt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 pm

There's been a couple of other discussions about handheld GPS units, but with the holidays and a few years passing since the last posts, I wanted to see if anyone had a newer unit that they liked. I'm looking into the Garmin Oregon 600 as it has a touchscreen camera, and seems tough enough for the hiking/fishing I'll be doing. Anyone else have this unit or other model that they like. How do you use it? How is easy is it to download way points and make maps? I want to be able to mark fishing spots on and along rivers, trolling patterns in lakes, float information, and general hikes/routes into the holes I fish.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS

Post by BentRod » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:28 am

I got the Oregon 550T a couple of years ago.

Pros:
Nice display. Decent user interface. Rarely looses signal. Camera comes in handy occasionally.
Easy to make/load custom maps via GoogleEarth.

Cons:
A bit bulky. Touch screen is not as easy to use as a smart phone. The camera is lower resolution than the smart phone, so rarely use it. Battery life isn't great (especially with Alkaline, so use rechargeable). Touchscreen scratches easily (recommend get a phone protective overlay film and cut to size)

Overall I'm happy with the unit, but got it for 50% off from Cabela's during the holidays and would not be as content if I'd paid full price I don't think. The newer units have minor upgrades that make them a little more appealing, so maybe options/performance is a little better now. It was a major upgrade from my much older Garmin eTrex that would lose signal if you looked at it wrong. I use it for hunting, fishing, hiking, and geocaching. For hunting and fishing (halibut and salmon in the Sound) I overlay topo or bathymetric maps and also use it for marking crab/shrimp pots. A very handy tool in that regard.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 am

I have had the Oregon 450T for several years. No camera. I picked up high out put rechargeable batteries that work well and last longer. I use it hunting and hiking, I did use it on my boat but now have a chart plotter but I do still take it as a backup on the boat. I also got a windshield mount and plug for the truck/boat/car. That works good to not use the batteries when I am driving between hunting areas.

I like the Oregon it is bigger than my last GPS but I have gotten use to it. At times it would be nice to have the next bigger screen (the Montana), but that would be even bigger to hall around. I have added the onXmap of WA and love it.
The screen has scratched and so I too would say get something over it.

I paid for one year of BirdsEye imagery when I first got the gps and that worked well. You can use the images you lode forever but with out paying again I can't get any new ones. It is nice to see overhead Google earth type of where you want to go.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:25 pm

I bought the Oregon 450 4 years ago and it worked fine for a while, now it constantly loses the signal, almost useless as it is so frustrating to use. I was talked into this model by a salesman who claimed it had a stronger transmitter/receiver than the $150.00 model I was looking at. This may or may not have any bearing on the later model you are looking at but I would not recommend a Oregon at all.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:58 am

strider43 wrote:I bought the Oregon 450 4 years ago and it worked fine for a while, now it constantly loses the signal, almost useless as it is so frustrating to use. I was talked into this model by a salesman who claimed it had a stronger transmitter/receiver than the $150.00 model I was looking at. This may or may not have any bearing on the later model you are looking at but I would not recommend a Oregon at all.
Have you checked for software updates?

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 am

hlindsay wrote:
strider43 wrote:I bought the Oregon 450 4 years ago and it worked fine for a while, now it constantly loses the signal, almost useless as it is so frustrating to use. I was talked into this model by a salesman who claimed it had a stronger transmitter/receiver than the $150.00 model I was looking at. This may or may not have any bearing on the later model you are looking at but I would not recommend a Oregon at all.
Have you checked for software updates?

yes, I was able to do one when I first got it, now I cant find anywhere that will allow me to update it and Garmin cannot be reached.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:13 am

I use Garmin express, I think it keeps both the maps and software updated. Do you have it on your computer?

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 pm

hlindsay wrote:I use Garmin express, I think it keeps both the maps and software updated. Do you have it on your computer?
No, the only thing I was able to find was map upgrades that one would have to buy.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:48 pm

hlindsay wrote:I use Garmin express, I think it keeps both the maps and software updated. Do you have it on your computer?

that looks like the ticket, I will try it tonight. Thanks hlindsay!

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:53 pm

I hope it helps.

Fish Dawg
Petty Officer

Post by Fish Dawg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Until I got my current boat rigged with a Lowrance FF/GPS I used the eTrex & found it easy to use for speed over ground while trolling as well as marking way points. Did not experience the same trouble with losing connection reported by previous poster. May have just been better line-of-sight in the areas I fished (no canyons etc, pretty much Puget Sound, open water lakes, and Skagit River). Inexpensive and functional unit IMHO. No touch screen or camera but that was not necessary for my purposes.

Good luck with your purchase!

Dawg