Downrigger Cable Humming/Improvements

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
LCRMAN89
Angler

Downrigger Cable Humming/Improvements

Post by LCRMAN89 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Has anyone had bad experiences or reviews with switching out their steel cable with braided or some other line to get rid of the humming? What brand did you switch too and how long has it lasted you? What are the down sides to changing out your steel cable? i already know this doesn't affect the bite because i have caught tons of fish with steel cables, i just want the trip to be a little more enjoyable not listening to those vibrations.

Hunter757
Commander

Re: Downrigger Cable Humming/Improvements

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:08 pm

So I run Cannon's and love the auto stop feature. If I were to go braid I loose the auto stop, something to think about if your running Cannon's if your running Scotty's then I see no reason not to switch. Another is if you run a black box then it also will not work without wire, I really have not heard anything bad about braid but YMMV. Good luck with the choice, I like the hmm it lets me know I am the correct speed but that is a personal choice.

WELCOME to NWFR by the way!! :cheers:
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:37 pm

This is a common question and there have been several good replies in the past regarding cable hum and the use of braid on downriggers. Here are a few links:

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... id#p182785
http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... id#p205926

If you want to stick with wire/cable, you'll have to put up with the hum.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:18 pm

I went to braid on one of my Scotty downriggers a few years ago. I don't recall what brand. I like that it is easy to tie up. No wire crimps. I have had to take off a few feet of wire from a downrigger and re-rig it and braid is much easier. I did have a problem with the line counter being off when I first started using it. I wasn't sure why but now that it has been used a few years It runs true to the counter now, (as seen on the depth sounder). I think it just needed to tighten up on the spool. Using a stacking release you may need to do something to keep it in place. Mine slid up the line. I put a little rubber tubing on the clip where it met the line and that fixed it. I don't think there is as much blowback on the braid. When my other rigger needs new wire it will be replaced with braid.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:56 pm

If you run the red line stops, you will have no problem with the auto stop working, changed to braid 3 years ago, was using the the old yellow stops, and they slipped all the time,swapped over to the red.problem gone, would not go back to wire..............

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Braid vrs cable is kind of like Ford vrs Chevy - everyone has an opinion - and none of them are wrong :)

I'm a cable guy like Hunter757. I run Cannon's and I love the auto stop and the built in Black Box, so I stick with cable. According to some people, the hum is a plus feature and it actually attracts fish! Not sure I buy that, but we are talking fishing here so.... :)

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm

I replaced my cable with braid in July, like it so much I'd never go back to cable. I use Chamberlain releases (love 'em) and connect direct to the ball. Chamberlain also has stacking releases for braid, but you have to ask for them as they're not listed on the website. I added the Scotty Sure Stop #374 fir positive stops every time without buttons or beads on the line. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Phil - do you use your Chamberlain releases in salt? I loved my Chamberlain release for the short time it lasted - one summer in the salt. It corroded internally so badly it exploded the plastic housing. The instructions dont say it needs to be rinsed in fresh water, but the owner implied that that was what was needed for safe salt water use after I complained about my unit committing suicide.

As near as I could tell, the nickle plating on the magnet failed or was defective allowing the magnet to corrode. No warranty was offered.

I was really disappointed. Until it died, I thought it was the best release I had ever used. I have at least one of every kind ever made I think!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:22 am

No, and that's a very good question. I fish fresh water only, so my release recommendation is probably not a good one for salt water use. I've tried many releases, and IMO, in fresh water, the Chamberlain is very hard to beat. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

LCRMAN89
Angler

Post by LCRMAN89 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:25 am

stryker17 wrote:If you run the red line stops, you will have no problem with the auto stop working, changed to braid 3 years ago, was using the the old yellow stops, and they slipped all the time,swapped over to the red.problem gone, would not go back to wire..............

Did you notice a reduction in fish take downs?