Terrova trolling motor

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
hewesbob
Lieutenant

Terrova trolling motor

Post by hewesbob » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:45 am

I have been thinking about putting a bow mount Terrova on the Hewes. Problem I am running into is that Minn Kota and Hummingbird seem to be the same company and on several sites I have read "i-pilot link is compatible with most Ethernet equipped Hummingbird fish finders". I run all Garmin electronics so my question is would I be buying a very expensive trolling motor and only be able to use its basic functions or would I have to buy a Hummingbird unit to be able to use the functions like auto following contour depth or auto course settings. I have search the internet high and low and can't find the answer to my question. Does anybody in this forum have any experience with this problem? ](*,)

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Re: Terrova trolling motor

Post by sinkerswim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:41 am

They're only compatible with Humminbird.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:49 am

Its my understanding that they are only compatible with Humminbird units - and only some of those.

You might be better asking here:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some reps from Humminbird that are very tech savy that hang out there and answer questions.

We just installed a 55# Powerdrive V2 with I-pilot on our 21' SmokerCraft and like it a lot. Contour following would be a nice addition but our older Humminbird sonar doesnt support the networking thats required. I was a little worried that a 55# thrust unit would be too small for our boat but its working great for us so far.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:58 am

Larry3215 wrote:Its my understanding that they are only compatible with Humminbird units - and only some of those.

You might be better asking here:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some reps from Humminbird that are very tech savy that hang out there and answer questions.

We just installed a 55# Powerdrive V2 with I-pilot on our 21' SmokerCraft and like it a lot. Contour following would be a nice addition but our older Humminbird sonar doesnt support the networking thats required. I was a little worried that a 55# thrust unit would be too small for our boat but its working great for us so far.
Are you trolling with it or just using it for steering? Having a hard time getting our 80lb to pull our 15' runabout more than trout trolling speed. Running 6 gauge wires. Thinking larger batteries might help. Right now I have 2 small Optima blue tops.

The OP could still use the iPilot features like the anchor setting and the GPS trolling course. Just can't link it up with his Garmin sonar/gps. .

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 pm

We troll for walleye (.9 to 1.2 mph on a setting of 2 or 3) with no problems. We dont do much trout trolling so I dont have any direct experience with that. We just used it a lot on our Banks trip with it running most all day (6 to 8 hours a day) on a full size Marine deep cycle battery. Im sure we could troll at 2-3 mph if we tried but the batteries wouldnt last nearly as long. Im guessing we would have to run about 5 or 6 to do that.

Your wire size sounds ok to me as long as its not a very long run. We are running 4 ga with about 6 feet from the battery to the motor.

You can check to see if your getting too much voltage drop by putting a meter on the battery when running at speed. Then check at the motor end to see if there is much voltage drop.

I forget the exact recommendation, but I think you want the voltage to stay at around 10-10.5 under max load at the minimum.

If the reading on the battery is low, then you need a larger or newer battery. If the reading on the motor is low while the battery is reading ok, then your wires or connections have too hi a resistance = too long or too small wire or poor connections.

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. I never have checked my voltage drop.
I can get about 1.2mph on setting 4. Going to have to put a kicker on before the coho get here LOL

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:22 am

sinkerswim wrote:Are you trolling with it or just using it for steering? Having a hard time getting our 80lb to pull our 15' runabout more than trout trolling speed. Running 6 gauge wires. Thinking larger batteries might help. Right now I have 2 small Optima blue tops.

The OP could still use the iPilot features like the anchor setting and the GPS trolling course. Just can't link it up with his Garmin sonar/gps. .
That's odd. The 80# bow mount trolling motor on our 20' ProV will pull it at 4.5 - 5mph at max throttle with 20' of 10gauge marine grade wire. How much does your runabout weigh? What kind of 6 gauge wire? Marine grade or automotive? The latter is not as good as marine grade (fewer conductor strands and not tinned).

Larger batteries will give you more run time not more power. 12v is 12v, 24v is 24v, and 36v is 36v. At 80# you have at least a 24v motor, maybe 36v. You should have your batteries load tested so you know their condition, capacity and state of charge, it's entirely possible they are undercharged or too old. Most certainly confirm good connections and wire condition from battery to fuse/breaker (no more than 7" from positive battery terminal) and then to motor. Clean, properly terminated, tight, no corrosion.

[wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:49 am

It could be that the batteries are getting old. I'm not sure how much the boat weighs. Here's a pic of it, I'd imagine it's lighter than a 20ft ProV.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 0d3f2a8387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's marine grade wire that I bought at West Marine. Pretty short run, the 2 batteries are up under the bow. Everything is perfectly clean and tight.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the batteries is getting old. It's about 4 or 5 years old now. I'm thinking I'm going to swap them out for some Interstate lead acid batteries soon anyways for more capacity.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:21 pm

4 to 5 years is pretty old for a battery - in a boat especially.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:52 pm

I have Ipilot and a Lowrance and no, they are not compatible. Hummingbird will link with the Minnkota and keep you along the same path, and depth. I have no problem with mine and love it just the way it is. point, set and fish. Ipilot is the best thing since...well, until terova LOL

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:35 am

I can't imagine what these are going to cost in the Riptide series
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling- ... t/Ulterra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:21 pm

sinkerswim wrote:I can't imagine what these are going to cost in the Riptide series
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling- ... t/Ulterra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not happening anytime soon. One of my forum members wanted to put one on his SeaRunner and MinnKota told him
As of now there are no plans but that can always change after a year of freshwater testing. If you use a freshwater motor in salt-water you will void your warranty.
It also turned him off on getting one for freshwater use. Said he didn't like the idea of "testing in the field for a year". Don't blame him, for the price of the Ulterra, it should be fully tested before it goes to market. [rolleyes]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:33 am

hewesfisher wrote:
sinkerswim wrote:I can't imagine what these are going to cost in the Riptide series
Not happening anytime soon. One of my forum members wanted to put one on his SeaRunner and MinnKota told him
As of now there are no plans but that can always change after a year of freshwater testing. If you use a freshwater motor in salt-water you will void your warranty.
It also turned him off on getting one for freshwater use. Said he didn't like the idea of "testing in the field for a year". Don't blame him, for the price of the Ulterra, it should be fully tested before it goes to market. [rolleyes]
Good news/bad news for me then. I won't feel so bad about buying a Riptide Terrova last year then LOL Means I'll most likely upgrade to the iLink then.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:09 am

Announced in July, Minn Kota is producing the Ulterra in RipTide version as well. Available this fall per the news release. [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System