Reel Repair / Maintenance

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
hawkoath
Petty Officer

Reel Repair / Maintenance

Post by hawkoath » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Does anyone know of a person who is an expert in both spinning and bait casting reels and who can take apart reels, examine them, oil and lube them and see if anything is wrong? Also it would be great it that person also knows how to go about upgrading a reel as well. I have a bunch of reels that I need maintenance done on and maybe one I want to upgrade and was wondering if there is anyone who is reliable and trustworthy around the Seattle/Tacoma area? Any help would be appreciated.

Chetco
Petty Officer

Re: Reel Repair / Maintenance

Post by Chetco » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:05 am

No mention of Ollie Damon's?

angry john
Petty Officer

Post by angry john » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I am ok with repairing daiwa bait casters and have done a few spinners. What do you have?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:23 am

The only local place I know of that has a store front is Johns in Everett. They do a nice job. I've had a few tuned up there. Tried at OE but you never know if their reel repair guy of the week is going to show up and actually work on the reel or worse, take them and not bring them back......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:00 am

There used to be a place in Seattle called Lync's that was recommended a lot, I never used him and not sure if he is still around or not. Maybe somebody else has more info than me [razz]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:28 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:There used to be a place in Seattle called Lync's that was recommended a lot, I never used him and not sure if he is still around or not. Maybe somebody else has more info than me [razz]
Lync's Tackle and Honda on the North end of Rainier, West side. At the 5 or 6 way. Racfish might have some more insight.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hawkoath
Petty Officer

Post by hawkoath » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Sorry for the late response. After no one responded for a few days I figured that no one knew. Essentially I am looking at getting the following reels taken apart, examined for issues, re-lubed and re-oiled:

Shimano Sustain 1000 FG
Daiwa Coastal 100 HSL
Abu Garcia Revo Premier PRM40
Daiwa Tierra 2500

and maybe some others. As there is pretty much nothing to fish for or its not in season legally I am also thinking of upgrading the drag on the Daiwa Coastal and maybe the bearings, drag, etc... on a Shimano Stradic 5000 FJ.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:23 am

Those are some top name brand companies when it comes to reels right there. Have you looked into sending them to the company?
Most of those brands offer reel service and will sometimes service, if not replace for free. Might take some calling and a couple of emails but it could be worth the effort. It will cost shipping but no one knows their own reels like the place that made them.
Best of luck to ya.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:36 am

Just drop them off at Johns in Everett. You'll have them back in a couple weeks, good as new. They're a service center for most brands.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Bodofish wrote:Just drop them off at Johns in Everett. You'll have them back in a couple weeks, good as new. They're a service center for most brands.
I called John's about 4-5 months ago regarding their repair. He told me that the guy who was doing reels for him, has since gone back to Boeing. Still maybe worth a call, maybe they picked up another reel tech.

Edit: Also, look into the thread recently from a guy who goes by.. "8thebait" ?? spelling.. He just sent reels to either Cabelas, or BPS, and raived about the service.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am

I called John about a year ago and was told they could not get bearings for common reels. really no point to reconditioning without new roller bearings

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:30 pm

I know from personal experience Shimano does a great job refurbishing their reels, for pretty reasonable cost.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".