Noodle Rods; not to be confused with noodling

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Noodle Rods; not to be confused with noodling

Post by Toni » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:38 am

A guy at the river was talking up something called a noodle rod (his pole). Why is it so special? Any one know?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Noodle Rods; not to be confused with noodling

Post by A9 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:12 am

Usually just a really whippy rod....Tall, thin, whippy is all I've heard a "noodle" rod as being...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:34 am

Eagle Claw used to make a rod called the "wet Noodle" and it was fun. It was 11 feet long and was a blast casting 1/32oz jigs a country mile. When you hooked a larger fish like a carp, catfish, or bass you could wear it out by holding the rod vertical and letting the springy action of the pole wear him down.

I have an unfinished one that I took out alot in the last couple years and used it on a modified Carolina-rig for bass. It's great, but now I have to replace all the eyes and do the finish work on the handle to get it ready for next year.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:50 pm

I took a workshop at the local park and recreation to learn about fishing in my area (Vancouver) and the instructor had what he called a noodleing rod. I have since seen them at Wal-Mart. It is a telescoping rod about 12' long with only one eyelet at the top and what can best be described as a cleat where a reel would be, but is not.

The rod is used in places where you would not need to cast. Pan fish in areas near the shore. You hold the pole in your right hand and pull the line up with your left and just sort of drop the line where you want it. I have seen a couple of them in use out at where the slough goes under the road and out to the Columbia in Vancouver Lake. I could see a good aplication out at Round Lake where all the fishing for pan fish is right at the shore.

If I find a picture I will attach it.

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 pm

we call them cane poles, or crapie stix's...a noodle is a realy whippy rod, super light action.
noodling is probly just something he called it. cane rods are far from whippy, there super stiff.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:27 am

The rod he had was about 10'. He said his next would be 11'. It had a lot of eyes and it looked like a regular steelhead pole. He said it would cast farther than regular poles. Also it was super sensitive. I think he said he got it at Joe's for $90.00 which was a good deal as they were twice as much normally.
I saw him a couple of times and he never caught anything.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:39 am

That's steep. I last saw them for around $40-45.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 am

Most rod makers do make a few long and whippy/sensitive rods for their lineup. So price all depends on the brand. They do allow you to fling light stuff really far with that whip and the height...Not good if your tossing even just a medium amount of weight.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....