Portable sonar

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
MackPrince
Petty Officer

Portable sonar

Post by MackPrince » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 am

I'm just curious to see what sonars people are using, and if anyone has comments about portable sonars and how well they work. My wife was asking about Xmas ideas and asked if I would want a fish finder. How well do the clamp on styles work? Do suction mount transducers stick to the transom at moderate speeds (- 20 mph)? I've got an aluminum boat and am not sure if I want to make holes in it to mount a transducer if a portable would work.

Target species- Kokanee, trout, spiny rays
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Portable sonar

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:00 am

We just replace our failing Garmin 100 with Humminbird 565.

We got the Humminbird 565 specifically for the higher rez screen (640Horizontal x 320Vertical) and the dual beam is kinda cool. Nice clear shots, Fish are shown in different sizes, Fish are shown in different color based on beam that detects it. The base unit is $179 at Cabelas but they had it in the bargain cave and we got it for $129.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:58 am

I've got a Hummingbird I can't remember the model, it's color and includes a gps which I think is great to have. Before that I jerry rigged up my Lowrance to go on my 14' alumanum (sp?) When I get home from work maybe I'll post a pic. it was very easy to take on and off, and meant for no drilling in the boat.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:04 pm

I've got the Lowrance M68 s/c with gps. Pretty much the smallest portable that Lowrance makes. You can see it in the Crabbing results Anybody?? thread. 3rd page, July 25 i believe. I love this unit. The whole kit was around $300-350. It's great, i have it hard wired with a permanent transducer installed. I take it off the 16'er, throw it on the 12'er with the suction cup transducer (and extra plug to the portable battery), any BAM, sonar on both boats. I also take the portable battery with me when i go Ice fishing.......3 units in 1!!! No...the suction cup does not work well at high speeds.....but you can tie the transducer to your boat if you want. I just slide the suction cup up about a foot (out of the water) for high speeds. hope this helps....
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Firetiger
Warrant Officer

Post by Firetiger » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Replaced Eagle 245 DF Portable with Eagle 320C Portable. Can anyone provide the location of a rock pile(Washington or Sammamish)? Actually any good structure would probably work. Will scan the structure with both units. Hopefully the 320C is as good or better than the 245.

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Firetiger let me know if there is mych differnce between the two. I was looking at the Cuda 168 and 245 the other day at Sportsman's.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Firetiger wrote:Replaced Eagle 245 DF Portable with Eagle 320C Portable. Can anyone provide the location of a rock pile(Washington or Sammamish)? Actually any good structure would probably work. Will scan the structure with both units. Hopefully the 320C is as good or better than the 245.
The new I-90 bridge columns on the west side of the lake are stepped about 20' down(base is bigger than the column) and would provide a good test for your finder. A color finder should reveal fish that appear to be inside these columns. Oops, did I just reveal a bonus bass fishing tip? #-o :-#

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:35 pm

I have been using a little Fishin' Buddy 1200. It is just an inexpensive fish finder from Bottom Line but seems to work very well. It's very portable and I have found that it is pretty acurate. I can even see my lure and weight going down. This is a great unit for guys with the small boats and toons. As long as you are careful with it and don't force it trying to move it around. Just 3 c cell batteries for 40+ hours of use isn't to bad at all.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info everyone, and the hidden secret tip ;) I've been hintin' to the wife about the need for me to move into the modern sonar style of fishing, and anyone who's seen me on the water knows for now I am totally 'old school'.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:07 am

[quote="MackPrince"]Thanks for the info everyone, and the hidden secret tip ]

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

bpm3067
Petty Officer

Post by bpm3067 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:50 am

I second the vote on the Eagle 320C. I installed one last year on my kayak and it's become indispensable when I get on these local lakes for finding the dropoffs and submerged cover. Now I'm looking for a new unit for my Bass Tracker and had considered getting another 320C, but I'd like to get a combo FF/GPS unit. I've been looking at both the Humminbird 363 and 383C, leaning toward the 363. I like the color of the 383 (the 320C looks great even in bright sunlight with polarized sunglasses), but I haven't convinced myself that it's worth another $100 or so, especially since the color unit has a smaller display than the B/W (3.5" vs 4"). Anyone have any experience or recommendations with either of these units?

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:47 am

I've got the Humminbird 565pt. It's fully portable, I use it in a canoe, boat and pontoon and it's awesome. I don't fish without it any more; not that I don't catch fish either way, but when it's slow, it's nice to be able to either watch something beep and scroll or actually go and find the fish. As far as moving with the transducer on, just pull it off while you're running as I've talked to many that have had it come off while running fast. I have a review of this unit I did within the last year if you search, you should be able to find it. It's easily one of the best pieces of equipment you can get. It's all in a handy carrying case, the battery/charger is included and that battery is a monster (motorcycle sized sealed battery). I don't even charge it every time I use it as it only uses two, to three tenths of a volt per day (full charge is around 12.4v and after a good day of fishin, it MIGHT drop to 12.2, and the unit is good down to 10v and after a few days of fishin, it usually reads 11.9-12 anyway and it charges pretty quick). For the money, you aren't going to beat this unit, I've found I'm not really missing anything without color as it reads with like fourteen layers of greyscale anyhow. Here's a link to the unit and you can save bucks by buying on eBay.
http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird- ... 100-1.html

I've been using this thing from wonderful ninety degree heat to sub-freezing conditions, wet, dry, windy, it don't matter, it don't miss a beat! Big screen, good res, comes with battery/charger (battery should be good for years too), tough deal to beat.

Found my review, has two pages of q&a with it....probably sold a few for humminbird after that, hahaha.....where's my check!?, blhahaha

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... EVIEW.aspx
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks for the updates guys, my wife was beginning to ask more quesitons as the xmas shopping begins.

GCB069
Petty Officer

Post by GCB069 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:04 am

This is how is setup my Humminbird Matrix 17 I mounted it in and on a small toolbox and used a battery from Tower Hobbies the one that they put in a R/C starter box. The battery last for a week or more. Here some PIC. It has a GPS and a Smartcast

Tower Hobbies battery
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXL370&P=0
Attachments
fishfinder_2.jpg
fishfinder_2.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
fishfinder1.jpg
fishfinder1.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 2617 times

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:54 pm

thats the first reference to tower hobbies i have ever seen outside of R/C forums

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 pm

GCB069 wrote:This is how is setup my Humminbird Matrix 17 I mounted it in and on a small toolbox and used a battery from Tower Hobbies the one that they put in a R/C starter box. The battery last for a week or more. Here some PIC. It has a GPS and a Smartcast

Tower Hobbies battery
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXL370&P=0
That looks very geeky. I'm impressed!!! (Seriously) :geek:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus