Lew's Reels?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Lew's Reels?

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has tried any Lew's reels?
I'm looking for a new spinning reel and my Daiwa one I got in a "Daiwa d-shock 9xi combo" is having issues.
I'm looking to spend from 100-150$ tops.
I've heard lots of good things (especially on here) and the pfleuger president but I was thinking something a little nicer.
In the price range I mentioned I've come across quite a few reels that have very good reviews. Once I have one that had lots of good reviews and I'm set on it I will go into the store to make sure it feels right before I actually buy it.
Anywho there's this reel that caught my eye, the Lews "Team Lew's pro speed spin" spinning reel.
I have heard next to nothing about this brand so was wondering if any of you have used one, and your experience with it?

It has 2 5star reviews on cabelas websites and I came across a thread on another website where everyone who used Lew's reels loved them and were hooked on them and couldn't get enough of them.
At 129.99 seems like a good price for the reel (it has good specs too)

Anyone who's tried one or atleast a Lew's reel in general please let me know your thoughts!

PS- I will be using this with a 9ft med spinning rod in rivers for salmon/steelhead. 30lb braid as mainline

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Lew's Reels?

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:53 am

I have no personal experience with the Lews, but I know a guy that has several and says he loves them. That said, I have fished many spinning reels over the years. By far my favorite is the Quantum Smoke that I am fishing right now. Very smooth and has a great drag. I did have a problem with it when the reel started back winding on me at random times. I emailed Quantum about the issue and they said send it to us and we'll fix it no charge. I was very impressed with the turn around time. I had the reel back in my hands in about 2 weeks. I had heard good things about the reel and was surprised when I had an issue. Since I got it back, it has been flawless. For what it's worth.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 am

At that price point you're probably going to like it. Also, no experience with Lew's myself, but have done a lot of research in past years. Lew's casting reels get good reviews.
The big names all have their followings and most people are going to have a good experience...that being said, you'll always have some lemons. I had two Shimano $100 spinning reels fail on me in a row. Shimano stood by their equipment and I never had to pay for a repair or replacement (except shipping), but sure made me question Shimano's build quality. Remember, you typically get what you pay for.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:42 am

AJ's Dad wrote:I have no personal experience with the Lews, but I know a guy that has several and says he loves them. That said, I have fished many spinning reels over the years. By far my favorite is the Quantum Smoke that I am fishing right now. Very smooth and has a great drag. I did have a problem with it when the reel started back winding on me at random times. I emailed Quantum about the issue and they said send it to us and we'll fix it no charge. I was very impressed with the turn around time. I had the reel back in my hands in about 2 weeks. I had heard good things about the reel and was surprised when I had an issue. Since I got it back, it has been flawless. For what it's worth.

Got it, thanks. Seems like everyone I know (as well as the people you know you mentioned) have had good experiences with the Lew's. So I'm really leaning towards that now.
A buddy of mine I work with tho also mentioned the quantum smoke and has mentioned he has never had any problems too so whenever I get to the store to feel the reels I'll definitely have to keep that in mind as well!

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 am

BentRod wrote:At that price point you're probably going to like it. Also, no experience with Lew's myself, but have done a lot of research in past years. Lew's casting reels get good reviews.
The big names all have their followings and most people are going to have a good experience...that being said, you'll always have some lemons. I had two Shimano $100 spinning reels fail on me in a row. Shimano stood by their equipment and I never had to pay for a repair or replacement (except shipping), but sure made me question Shimano's build quality. Remember, you typically get what you pay for.
Cool, thanks.
And yeah I've noticed that too, it seems when someone likes a brand they just stick with it and are part of the "following"
Like my father in law has a friend who's stuck on pfleuger and that's all he gets and therefore that's all my father in law gets now too, although he seemed to have some troubles with the patriarch.
I was considering pfleuger as well because these guys stand by them but I'm really just going to try to get the best I can get for my money.. So I'm not gonna go by brand name but by the one that has the best reviews and feels the best

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:35 am

I've never had a problem with a Shimano spinner but I never buy a reel in a clamshell. I don't think you can go wrong with them as long as you stay above the clamshells. I have a Symetre I've used for going on ten years and the only thing it's ever had is a little grease and some oil. It's been tested on some big chums.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:27 pm

On a somewhat related note I'm also looking for a new rod.
My 8'6 MH wright and McGill "Salmon essentials" rod is too stiff and the line weight is 1/2 to 2 which is definitely not sensitive enough for the drift fishing I have been doing. And without the bend of a bit lighter of a pole, I've been popping a lot of leaders and still haven't caught a salmon/steelhead (ever) :(.

I would like to get a good deal on a rod but at the same time I feel like if I spend 100, I may as well spend 200$ and get one that will last me a LONG time with not having to worry.
I noticed G.Loomis makes an E6X series. In this series is the E6X salmon/steelhead drift rod.
For drift fishing ive been doing I realize a lite weight of 3/8-3/4 is plenty.
Some of the E6X rods was rated 6-12lb line, 3/8-3/4oz lure, there was 8'6 M, 8'6 ML, 9'6M and 9'6 ML

The question is are these poles that say medium light, are they strong enough to handle a chinook if I hook into one? Or should I stick to the medium?
From what I've seen and felt, it seems like the more bend the rod has and the longer it is, the more advantage the fisherman has over the fish.
Is this true? Or should I stick to the medium weight not medium light to play it more safe?

cajunlat
Angler

Post by cajunlat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:00 pm

I'm no expert,but I've gone almost exclusively to LEWS for baitcasting and spinning reels. The $100-150 reels feel like $300 reels to me. Smooth!
On another note, I've gone almost exclusively to the bass pro shop rods. For $100 or less, they're light and sturdy AND if you break one or "feed one to the lake" like me, it won't break the bank.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:41 pm

LMAO "feeding one to the lake" 😂😂😂

Great tho, that's great news and now that you said that I'm totally convinced. Still not heard a single bad word about Lew's and read and heard only great things!
Think I'm gonna go with the one I mentioned.
The Lew's team Lew's pro speed spin reel. At 130$ seems to be a great value! Whenever I decide to finally get it I'll let you all know how it goes!