Circle hooks?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
camano gibby
Angler

Circle hooks?

Post by camano gibby » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:26 am

Mike Carey:

Last July you reported that you started using circle hooks for Socks up on Baker, and you said that they worked well for you. Could you tell us how you rigged them? How much of a strike to solid hookup improvement was there? I've been using 2/0 red Gami's in the standard "J" style, but am always open to try a better mousetrap.

Thanks for the help

Gibby

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Circle hooks?

Post by Bodofish » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:21 pm

That does pose some interesting questions..... Like, I know with circle hooks one does not "set the hook", and with Kokes a lot of folks just yank the lips right off them. I understand they're (the fish) are supposed to stay pinned better because of the shape of the hook with no barb. They also have a higher percentage of hooking in the jaw and side of the mouth. I'd love to hear from Mike too. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Circle hooks?

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:47 pm

So I tied up Dachii circle hooks, 2/0, red, with a regular stinger hook 2-3" behind it. I would use either a very small hoochie or just a bit of yarn, and usually a small chunk of prawn.

I don't remember a significant difference between this set up and other traditional hook rigs for catching. But I will say the ones that came in hooked with the circle hook were definitely not coming off.

Hmmmm, me thinks I need to do more research this year. :)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".