Regarding sonar settings/thermocline

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Regarding sonar settings/thermocline

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:42 pm

I have a Humminbird 798 SI. I have had it for some time, and generally speaking I am pretty comfortable with using it.
I am going to start getting back into Lake WA. cutthroat fishing, and wanted to ask if anybody has any suggestions in regards to how to tweak my settings to better visualize the thermocline on the lake?

Yes, I've seen it before, and maybe it is more or less present different times of the year. I cannot recall from the past, what was going on. I just thought maybe somebody had some pointers on tweaking the settings... Maybe just increase the sensitivity settings? Maybe I'm over thinking it. Gman....? Rseas, you have my sonar. [confused]
I plan to fish this Sunday.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Regarding sonar settings/thermocline

Post by G-Man » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm not familiar with the newer Humminbird sonar units so I can't give you detailed setup info. What I do know is that most standard sonar settings eliminate some vital information that lets you see the thermocline, downrigger weights, baitfish, upwellings, etc. I suggest using the lowest noise reduction settings, eliminate the surface noise rejection if that is an option. You really don't care what is going on a couple feet below your boat when you are fishing 30 to 60 feet down. Bump up the sensitivity a few notches, crank up the ping rate and you should be on the right path. If your screen is filled with dark arches, back off a little. The thermocline will show up in different ways depending on how much change there is between the water temps and how thick it is. You may also see currents, especially out in the Sound, at the inflows of rivers and streams and even in lakes when they start to turnover.

It's helpful to know what is below you and then see how your sonar displays it. You can do this by running over to the Lake Washington buoy and comparing what you see on the sonar with what the readings are on the website.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Thank you for the comments on that.
Plans now up in the air on Sunday. On other fishfinder news, I am eager to take out the maiden voyage with an incredible mounting system I have found for allowing a high end fishfinder on to a float tube. New Humminbird Helix 7 SI Just arrived.
Considering demo run into alpine lake?
I will though make use of lake WA buoy information soon.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 pm

A key setting for me is the range and depth window. I never use the "auto depth" setting. I always set both the upper and lower depth range manually. I set the upper limit at 2', 5', 12' or what ever I need for a given fishery. As an example when fishing Lake Chelan; I may set the upper limit at 60' but when fishing Lake Samish or Campbell Lake I will set the upper limit at 3-6'. Using this method I can turn the noise reduction off all together. I set the lower range 20' or so below my target range and then adjust as required to support the day's fishery. I usually turn the gain or sensitivity way up and the scrolling rate up pretty high. My goal is to focus as many of my available watts on my target zone and to be able to seperate the targets.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:22 pm

rseas wrote:A key setting for me is the range and depth window. I never use the "auto depth" setting. I always set both the upper and lower depth range manually. I set the upper limit at 2', 5', 12' or what ever I need for a given fishery. As an example when fishing Lake Chelan; I may set the upper limit at 60' but when fishing Lake Samish or Campbell Lake I will set the upper limit at 3-6'. Using this method I can turn the noise reduction off all together. I set the lower range 20' or so below my target range and then adjust as required to support the day's fishery. I usually turn the gain or sensitivity way up and the scrolling rate up pretty high. My goal is to focus as many of my available watts on my target zone and to be able to seperate the targets.
"Use all my available watts on my target zone"
Good point. I had not thought of that. I always dug the auto-depth feature, as it allowed all little bit of lazyness on my part.
I will take this post with me, when on the lake.