Waterproof fishing gloves

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
BassSlayer1981
Petty Officer

Waterproof fishing gloves

Post by BassSlayer1981 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:13 pm

Anybody recommend any brand of 100% waterproof fishing gloves that you have used? I bought a pair of Storm Stryker NEOPRENE gloves that leaked the first time i used them. Just wondering if anybody has recommendations on a brand that are actually waterproof. I mainly just use them for trout fishing in the winter. Any help would be great as Iam not big on reading online reviews written by the company themselves. Thanks!

drysuperfly52
Commander

Re: Waterproof fishing gloves

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:22 pm

a pair of nitril gloves under neoprene gloves has been go to when the weather gets cold
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

NorseNW
Petty Officer

Post by NorseNW » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:52 pm

X 2 with drysuperfly52 on the nitrile gloves under neoprene! I've had a bit of cold weather "exposure" in the military that has left my hands very sensitive to cold weather. They just don't last very long before going numb. The two glove combo works well for winter fishing and winter clam digs on the coast.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Bluknight wrote:X 2 with drysuperfly52 on the nitrile gloves under neoprene! I've had a bit of cold weather "exposure" in the military that has left my hands very sensitive to cold weather. They just don't last very long before going numb. The two glove combo works well for winter fishing and winter clam digs on the coast.
No kidding! It seems like I tried the nitride gloves under neoprene gloves for cold weather, and it did not work out so well. The neoprene gloves were water proof to begin with, but not warm at all. By nitride, do you mean the thin latex type glove worn in the medical field?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:43 am

I like to have my fingers exposed so I don't lose dexterity (for line tying, etc.). I use nitrile gloves and the rag-wool 1/2 finger gloves over the top (they stay warm even when wet). If it is REALLY cold I take the peel and stick toe warmers and stick one on the inside/top of each glove so it is resting on the back of my hand.

They also work great for handling/tailing fish.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

NorseNW
Petty Officer

Post by NorseNW » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:00 am

MotoBoat wrote:
Bluknight wrote:X 2 with drysuperfly52 on the nitrile gloves under neoprene! I've had a bit of cold weather "exposure" in the military that has left my hands very sensitive to cold weather. They just don't last very long before going numb. The two glove combo works well for winter fishing and winter clam digs on the coast.
No kidding! It seems like I tried the nitride gloves under neoprene gloves for cold weather, and it did not work out so well. The neoprene gloves were water proof to begin with, but not warm at all. By nitride, do you mean the thin latex type glove worn in the medical field?

Yes the medical field type gloves. Nitrile gloves are a non-latex version of the same glove. I find them much more durable and comfortable than the standard latex gloves.

NorseNW
Petty Officer

Post by NorseNW » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:02 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:I like to have my fingers exposed so I don't lose dexterity (for line tying, etc.). I use nitrile gloves and the rag-wool 1/2 finger gloves over the top (they stay warm even when wet). If it is REALLY cold I take the peel and stick toe warmers and stick one on the inside/top of each glove so it is resting on the back of my hand.

They also work great for handling/tailing fish.
I like the fingerless wool glove idea. Pretty sure I have a pair of those buried around her somewhere. Gonna give those a try with the nitrile gloves underneath to see if that works better than the wool ones alone that didn't work very well for me. Thanks for the toe warmer tip as well!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Are my hands the only ones that sweat in those nitrile gloves? I could have sworn the sweat and cold weather did not mix, causing my hands to freeze. Maybe I placed the nitrile gloves on after my hand were cold. I just recall the cold got worse, much worse.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:50 am

I've tried about every kind of glove to keep my hands warm and dry. Sealskinz, Glacier Gloves, Goretex ski gloves, etc. What works for me is the following.

Tasks not requiring dexterity - fleece gloves under rubber work gloves. Buy the fleece gloves first and then go shopping for a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves to wear over the top of them. Great for hauling up crab traps during the winter. The fleece will keep you hands warm and help move any sweat that develops away from your skin.

Tasks requiring dexterity/fine touch - rag wool glomitts with a handwarmer packet if need be. Any glove made with seams will leak, at the seams, it's just a fact of life. Fingerless rag wool gloves have been a steelheader's staple for decades and will continue to be because they are tough to beat. The glomitts are a nice compromise as they are a fingerless glove with a retractable mitten top that can be kept out of the way with a small bit of velcro. When things get really chilly, take a hand warmer packet and put it in the glove over the top of your hand.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Glomitts. I had a pair but lost one mitten before having enough time to give them a good test in cold weather.

The old fingerless wool Steeheaders standby are to bulky for me. Plus, when does the palm of your hand or back of your hand ever get cold? It is the fingertips that get cold, and that is the part uncovered. I like the fingerless part, that is a necessity for proper knot tying dexterity.

What does make sense is the goofy looking Glomit. Who cares how the glomitt looks if your fingers are warm.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:45 pm

its kinda the same concept as to how a wet suit works ... you have a lil bit of water around your fingers but also the insulating layer of the outter gloves to keep them warm rather then just exposed wet hands with out insulation

BassSlayer1981
Petty Officer

Post by BassSlayer1981 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks for the info people!