Navionics, is it worth the 150 bucks ?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
tomconant
Petty Officer

Navionics, is it worth the 150 bucks ?

Post by tomconant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm

I have a hummingbird 597 ci HD fish finder in my boat and have been looking into getting this chip for it (model PREM-W6)
I actually went to Cabelas after Christmas to buy one. The Employee I was talking to kinda talked me out of it.
He said its great for the popular lakes but did not offer much for the smaller lakes.
Since I fish and play in only a few lakes, mainly Rock, Marshall, Roosevelt and the Snake river.
I am not really sure it would benefit me.
But after more research on Navionics web site it looks like the lakes listed above are way better than what I have now.

My fish finder came with the boat when I bought it. I've never had one before and pretty much use it for the depth temp and speed. mainly because when it shows I'm on top of a million fish I get nothing and when I'm killing them there isn't one fish on the stupid thing. But since I am cheap I'm sure I'll have it until, it or me dies.

I'm sure a lot of you Guys have this card and can chime in as far as the coverage of the smaller less popular lakes

thanks,
Tom

P.S. From what I see the Navionics is a lot better than Lakemaster card. What do you think ?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Navionics, is it worth the 150 bucks ?

Post by Amx » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Wait and go to the Sportsman's show at the fairground in Puyallup Jan 21st thru the weekend, read that thread and print out a couple coupons per that thread.

Take the class given by Jeff Boyer using the Lowrance units. But the info can also be used on other brands. Talk to the Humminbird people and then decide. My opinion is - yes get it.
Tom.

Interests: living

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:58 pm

If you really only fish a few lakes, get the available Fish-n-Maps for them and use the waypoint and trail features to tag spots you know or have found on your own. They will end up be more accurate and more useful than any mapping software you purchase. Note: I don't know if your model comes with this feature, but some units allow you to create custom\modify maps based on your actual sonar/gps readings.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Plus, I'll give you a preview, come March those GPS hotspots - will be available to everyone and you can upload them to your GPS unit. That won't show you the lake contours though.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

tomconant
Petty Officer

Post by tomconant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:17 pm

I would like to go, but your on the wrong side of the state. [laugh]
I do have the fish n map of roosevelt and snake, but they don't have them for the little lakes.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:23 am

I would recommend finding the smaller lakes you fish on this web map first (http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Check and see if your lakes are on that web map and have the depth contours you are looking for. Another options is to use the web map on a mobile device a couple of times and see if the coverage is what you are looking for.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 am

I've had a HotMaps Premium for my plotter since 2009. Me, I wouldn't be without one even though I have the FishnMaps for every lake on our side of the mountains, including Lake Roosevelt. I've spent so much time there I now have a mental map that precludes the need for anything else. Having said that, I still wouldn't be without the HotMaps chip. Since reservoir level can vary by as much as 60' in the spring, using a paper map while navigating sucks, and unlike the map chip, you cannot zoom in to see the contour lines in detail. Keep in mind, for Roosevelt the reference for FishnMaps and HotMaps is taken at FULL POOL, so you have to adjust to changes in reservoir level as they occur. IMO, this is much easier to do with an interactive electronics display than a paper map. [wink]

You will find there are a LOT more eastside lakes on that chip than westside, and most of the lakes you fish will be on it. I know Marshall is, I've fished it, and so is Rock Lake. Roosevelt is for sure AND an HD map. Not sure about the Snake River, haven't been there for years.

I just finished upgrading my electronics equipment a little over a week ago. My old plotter used a CF card and the new plotter uses sdmicro. Though I tried to copy the program from Cf to sdmicro, it didn't work, so I ordered a brand new HotMaps Premium chip this morning. Best price i could find was $126.11 here. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them, and they almost always beat every other electronics dealer out there.

As to Hot Spots, I never provide that specific info and have actually started being a little less descriptive in my reports about where I fish. There are some things I don't feel the "public" has a right to know. I share detailed specifics with certain folks, but the average joe reading my reports will have to put in some work, just like I did. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

tomconant
Petty Officer

Post by tomconant » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:38 pm

All right, you've talked me into it.
From what I can see on hummingbirds website it looks like navionics is way better than the lakemaster chip.
correct me if I am wrong. navionics looks like they have a lot more detail on the smaller lakes than lakemaster.

I am curious tho, has any one found erroneous details on it or does it seem pretty accurate ?

thank you
tom

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:18 am

I bought the navionics chip. I've only used it out in the sound. Set my color/depth setting at 25 feet and as long as I stay out of the blue I'm not going to hit bottom. Only used it a few times but I'm looking forward to this spring when I can get some more use out of it.

I bought mine at West Marine. Had $50 in reward points from buying my Minn Kota Riptide there lol

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:42 am

Check this link out. Make sure and click the little sonar symbol in the lower left for the detailed view

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:40 am

tomconant wrote:All right, you've talked me into it.
From what I can see on hummingbirds website it looks like navionics is way better than the lakemaster chip.
correct me if I am wrong. navionics looks like they have a lot more detail on the smaller lakes than lakemaster.

I am curious tho, has any one found erroneous details on it or does it seem pretty accurate ?

thank you
tom
I find it to be very accurate. Have no idea how it compares to lakemaster, but have read many comments that support your statement Navionics has much more detail. My new chip arrives Wednesday. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount