question re: downrigger line clip thing

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

question re: downrigger line clip thing

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:01 pm

OK.... so this makes me feel kinda stupid, but you guys are my best resource for stuff.

I went out today to give my Scotty downrigger it's maiden voygage. I gave up using it only because the clip mechanism that your main/rod line goes to would never hold the line in it. When I would attach it... then (slowly) lower the ball, the line would come out and I'd be "Off the ball."

Of course I realize that you can set your line out towards the edge of the clip for an easy fish release, or set it way back for a more difficult release. I started right in the middle, and finally had it all the way in the rear. Each time I couldn't keep it there. I have two different clips. One is about the size of your ring finger and one quite a bit smaller. I started off with the bigger one thinking that it had the most tension. The little one seemed like it wasn't much tighter.

A couple other things. Motor was in neutral, what I had on my rig was a 6" flasher with a #4 Blue artic fox spinner behind that. And again... I was going really slow when i'd let it down.
Do these things come in ratings as far as their pinch strength? Or is there a brand which I should buy?

Thanks
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:question re: downrigger line clip thing

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:21 pm

I use both the big and small Scotty releases. My small (freshwater clip) holds flashers and popgear just fine.

Either you were doing something wrong, had something adjusted wrong....or were using braided line.

If you were using mono, you could clean the pads off by putting a washcloth or t-shirt material between the clips and pulling it out. Smelly Jelly makes them slip also.

Or....you aren't paying line out fast enough. There's a third thought.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Either you were doing something wrong, had something adjusted wrong....or were using braided line.

#-o

Oh man! Yes, I was using braided line. So is braided line a no go for the downrigger clip?
I just hate learning this stuff by trial and error.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:56 pm

I don't have much experience with DRs and braided line, but if that is the case it means you will need to ask santa for two new DR rod/reel combos. Could be worse. :bom:

Oh, there is a release called I think a "Pro Release" that uses a different method than the tension releases, also, Scotty used to have a pin release which may work with the braided line. I know Anton Jones of Darrell and Dad's Guide Service uses the Pro Release and I think he has braid on his reels. He fishes deep - over 400 ft and his releases work great, but there is a learning curve with them.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:11 pm

Yep, braid. If you get a hit off 400 feet of mono you wouldn't be able to feel it.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:33 pm

Braid's a no-go with DR clips. Good excuse to get a new reel to spool up with mono and stick on that rod, and keep a reel spooled with braid. That stuff is pretty pricey, not worth throwing it all out to stick mono on it....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:48 am

quadradomus wrote:OK.... so this makes me feel kinda stupid, but you guys are my best resource for stuff.
The only stupid question is the unasked one!o:)

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:25 am

Mike Carey wrote:I don't have much experience with DRs and braided line, but if that is the case it means you will need to ask santa for two new DR rod/reel combos. Could be worse. :bom:

Oh, there is a release called I think a "Pro Release" that uses a different method than the tension releases, also, Scotty used to have a pin release which may work with the braided line. I know Anton Jones of Darrell and Dad's Guide Service uses the Pro Release and I think he has braid on his reels. He fishes deep - over 400 ft and his releases work great, but there is a learning curve with them.
Mike brings up a good point and one I forgot. I think Offshore makes a release that works good with braid. If I were you I'd ask one of the downrigger guys at Outdoor Emporium or 3 Rivers Marine (if you want one close to work) and get some release info.

Bill