Archery opener, Sept 1st

All things related to hunting.
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Archery opener, Sept 1st

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:01 pm

Tomorrow is the big day, anybody going afield for the deer archery opener?? I guess it depends where you are hunting, but alot of GMU's open tomorrow. So, I have tues,wed.,thurs. off and it's looking like this:

Tuesday morning, Hit one of the 6 deer I saw 60 yrds from my stand sunday;

Wednesday fish the snohomish with a buddy for pinks (evening hunt if nothing tues.);

Thursday drop a crab pot in 7 north (I hear they are just nailing the crab up here) and troll for a few salty salmon.

Friday back to work. Should be a good mid week with great weather. This time of year just makes me wanna quit my job...:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Bscman
Warrant Officer

RE:Archery opener, Sept 1st

Post by Bscman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:17 pm

I'll miss opening morning, but plan to hunt a few evenings through the week...and hit it hard for the weekend.
I've been too caught up fishing this year (especially now that I have a boat!) so I am going into this season a bit ill-prepared. My gear is prepped and ready to roll, but I haven't done as much scouting as usual.

I seem to prefer the late archery hunt, anyway...my preferred unit is open, and I love chilly mornings and that first trace of snow. Still, I won't miss the opportunity for an early buck before they wise up during rifle season...

Best of luck!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 am

I won't be in the field until Friday or Saturday, but then several days of R&R, and even a deer if it forces me to.:-$
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Got off work at 8am. Was hiking up the "hill" by 9am towards the stand. Just like sunday, jumped a couple deer about 50yrds before I could even get to my stand. Decided to immediatly leave the area and I'll be up there by 5-6am tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't spoke their pattern to much. I considered stalking them, but figured once I was busted that would be pretty tough. I have a hunch I may harvest a good one (and my first) tomorrow morning. Good luck this weekend guys..

Bscman, I found last year during the late season, it seemed the blacktail were alot more nocturnal in my area. I'm just glad to see some during shooting hours this year! Have you seen the same pattern as the season progresses??
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:31 pm

Still debating whether or not I am going to hunt the early this year or not. I've skipped the past few years because of the heat and great fishing. On a side note: Would be cool to run into some archery hunters that I fish around!

Uncle Booch
Angler

Post by Uncle Booch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Yeah I went for the first and second but it is just too hot where I was hunting, the deer weren't moving at all. I did have one two point walk by me though.(too bad it's a three-point minimum zone). Oh well, I'm heading again soon...
BOOCH

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Rolland, you're right about their habits in the late season...high pressure areas seem to turn them nocturnal...if not out of the area completely.

If you're jumping deer on your stand you really need to get up a bit earlier. Its light enough on my way to work every morning at 5:45 that'd I'd consider trying to be in your stand and ready by 5ish. Let the woods quiet back down and settle before they start moving at light.

FWIW, the big bucks will generally be seen the first and last 20-30 minutes of the day.

That being said, I put a stalk on a bedded down last saturday. Got to 18yds before it stood up and I realized it was a bit on the small side. Jumped a 2pt bedded just below the ridge I was glassing on around 10am. No luck yet, but I'm taking tomorrow off and the weekend looks promising.

Best of luck to all! Get those arrows red!

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”