any duck hunters out there?

All things related to hunting.
physher92
Petty Officer

any duck hunters out there?

Post by physher92 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 pm

well, as well as being an avid fisherman, I love waterfowl hunting. I went out this past weekend for
my last youth hunt and shot 12 birds in two days. a pretty good way to start the season off.
anybody have any duck or goose hunting planned?
Attachments
Youth_Hunt_2008_005.jpg
Youth_Hunt_2008_005.jpg (446.34 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Youth_Hunt_2008_011.jpg
Youth_Hunt_2008_011.jpg (477.32 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go

mallard83
Commodore

RE:any duck hunters out there?

Post by mallard83 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Good to here that you had success on the youth hunt. The closest I have been to waterfowl this year was a couple weeks ago my hunting partner and I took a trip out to our blind to fix any damage that it had sustained in the off season. Lucky we did make a trip before the season opens because it got hammered from the nasty late winter we had. A big portion of the front was completely ripped off. All fixed now and ready to go right after we get done chasing deer around the woods.

I am so pumped up for this coming waterfowl season, I almost don't wan't to bother with deer. I have to hunt deer while I can though because the state screws us modern firearm hunters with such a short season.

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:44 pm

ya, I bet it really got battered. where abouts do you go hunting at? i
I'm super excited for the waterfowl season to though! definietly going
to hit the duck blind hard!
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:52 pm

definietly going
oh you mean after you trip on my limit of dead honkers and mallards!:bounce:
just messin wija

and yes I am looking forward to duck hunting were getting closer and closer.
btw way I saw about 3 dozen ducks fly into heart lake today.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 pm

physher92 wrote:ya, I bet it really got battered. where abouts do you go hunting at? i
I'm super excited for the waterfowl season to though! definietly going
I mainly hunt the at the mouth of the Snohomish River and all it's sloughs. Every once and a while my friend and I head over to Potholes, but we haven't been there for a couple of years now.

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Nice photos physher. It's great to see and hear success stories of our youth from out in the field. The only birds I've ever hunted are turkeys, but I've got some friends who want to book a day at the Ridgefield game area. It looks like a wet, but fun adventure.
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:01 pm

yep, no doubt its a wet sport! good luck to you guys!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:37 pm

physher92 wrote:yep, no doubt its a wet sport! good luck to you guys!
The worse the weather, the better the hunting.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 pm

We have some great waterfowl hunting here in the Yakima Valley and I can't wait. What kinda calls do you guys like? Primos original Wench is my favorite. They seem to respond well to that one for me along with the Duck Commander Drake call. Doesn't usually get hot here until mid November but there are a lot of locals puddling around this fall. Byron Ponds, Giffin Lake and the Totus area on the Yakima Reservation have a lot of locals on them now. I can't wait!!! Will be re stringing the dekes this weekend.

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 am

well without a doubt, the nastier the weather then the better the hunting. CrappieMaster, I really like the Primos original wench too. I used to blow a duck commander and then switched to one of these and I like it a lot better. I got a "training" DVD withit and the guys from Primos gave me some pretty helpful hints and tricks and i'm getting pretty good. Never go out without it! Howabout dekes? what to do you like?

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:28 am

I have a bunch of carry lites. I like them. I have a few magnums, but what I really like a works well are my wind ducks. I will usually set two pockets with one in each pocket and they sure attract them from way up high. All you need is a little breeze and they go. Physher, I also carry the Primos Madame around my neck. and alternate the wench and the Madame as they are working the dekes. Best calling tip I ever got was watching your pitch control and calling only at wings and tails. For geese, I have Bigfoots and outlaw silhouettes. Love to set them in the corn fields. I am not as confident calling honkers as I am with ducks, but I do OK.

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”