Blacktail deer, wife's first kill

All things related to hunting.
arniejl
Warrant Officer

Blacktail deer, wife's first kill

Post by arniejl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:15 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

That is the exact words that came out of my mouth when I seen what my wife had done, lol.

We headed up into Hancock property Thursday morning with a friend behind us in his rig and his two kids. Only the kids still had tags. Promptly, in the headlights, a nice 3 point crossed the road. Reprod all around so we just kept going up to where we seen a couple bucks, one on Oct. 31, in the headlights but still legal shooting hours, and the other, a smaller 2-point, on the Friday before general bull started.

We stopped short and I talked to my buddy who had not been in this area before about the plan that I devised. He headed down to the big portion of the clear cut while my wife and I stopped at the head of a spur.

Wifey and I split up. My intent was to hunt a clearcut off the right hand spur and then walk down through it the timber and then continue hunting while she wanted to hunt the timber patch bordering her clear cut, the same area that we had seen the two bucks, previously.

I had came back up to the truck right around 9:30. I opened the back door to my truck to throw my pack in there and I heard "BOOM", and not far away. I thought "That has to be her", I could see most the other roads in the bigger clear cut and there was nobody out there. I took off in my truck, down the road. I find her on the edge of this muddy crud between some brush piles that were stacked up. She was waving me down to her. I thought "What the heck, did she hit a deer and it ran off, or what".

I get down there with my window rolled down and she is standing by this buck. I said "Are you kidding me"!

She is smiles from ear to ear. This is her second year hunting and the first living creature that she has ever had in her cross hairs. She made the shot count with my Ruger Frontier in .308.

One dead deer, one very happy husband, and one ecstatic wife. She is on cloud nine.

I had this posted on another forum so I copy/pasted it over to here

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Blacktail deer, wife's first kill

Post by Amx » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Congrats to her. :cheers: [thumbsup]
Tom.

Interests: living

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Congrats to the wife on a nice kill, and congrats to you because you have an awesome hunting partner. It is quite special to share the hunt with the spouse. Enjoy the bounty. and MANY more hunts to you two :salut:

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:36 pm

congrats. thats a very nice buck. how do you like your scope mounted that far up?

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30 am

obryan214 wrote:congrats. thats a very nice buck. how do you like your scope mounted that far up?
Thanks everyone!

I love the "Scout Rifle" set up. I bought this gun to hunt the thick stuff and have never really used it. I bow hunted for deer right after I bought it and then did the multiseason tag last year and this year. We bought my wife a gun, online, and she shoots it great but when she stands up, off hand, the gun is too big for her. She did not want to hunt with my Frontier but she had no choice and now I think it is her favorite gun.

Go figure.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:53 am

Nice buck!!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:56 am

Good for her...nice deer!
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:44 am

Congrats. My uncle just bought that same gun, nice rig.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Nice job! Last day of the late season, i walked out onto the edge of a clear cut, scanned for deer didnt see anything. So i decided to walk around the back of it, turns out there were 4 deer bedded in the clear cut that just blended in with the souroundings. one was a nice 3 point, didnt get a shot at it! Glad you guys got something!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”