Brand new KAHR CW9 Passes break-in period with flying colors!!

All things related to hunting.
Matt
Admiral

Brand new KAHR CW9 Passes break-in period with flying colors!!

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:03 am

I recently added a new 9mm to my collection,I have had my KAHR CW9 for a week and I have put around 400 rounds through it. The first outing was questionable at best accuracy wise but the pistol functioned perfectly no FTF or FTE. A lot of people have complained about the stippling on the grip being uncomfortable to the hand, but honestly I don't mind it even after 2 200 round days. After the first trip the gun was EXTRA dirty, and I cleaned it and went back today, about half way through my day the gun really started to perform. I put 8 rounds into a 1 1/2" orange dot target at 25 feet in succession, and also had this grouping at 25 feet on blank paper. I was using the cheap UMC bulk ammo 115 gr FMJ. I had one FTE today that I think was caused by accidentally partially depressing the magazine release when I fired the round. Overall, I am VERY pleased with this firearm so far, the results speak for themselves really. I did install a Hogue Handall Jr. today after the range as well, and it should make the accuracy even better with a rock solid grip on the firearm. I also have the night sights in the mail from KAHR and put in my order for a Crossbreed supertuck which, unfortunately, is backordered out about 5 damn weeks! :barf:

25 Feet, 115 GR UMC FMJ, 8 rounds in slow succession:

Failure to eject:

Just thought I would share.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Matt
Admiral

RE:Brand new KAHR CW9 Passes break-in period with flying colors!!

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Got back from the gunsmith today and had my Night Sights professionally installed. I did the front and punched out the stock back sight, he filed and pushed the rear sight in for me for 20$.

Also added a Hogue Handall JR which I like very much so far. :D

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Nice, night sights are great. My Sig came with them, didn't even know that until I took it home. Your gunsmith gave you a good price too. I waited 9 weeks for my last holster so I know the feeling. Good report

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Yah I thought it was very reasonable. I used Grumpy's Gun Repair up in Granite Falls, I will definitely be going back to him with anything else I need. I haven't shot the gun since I put the new sights on but I am excited to get out and give it a try.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:23 am

Good lookin piece of hardware, very sweet grouping. Im having issues pulling my groups togeather. Buddy says the heavy pull on mine may be the issue. if thats the case then I need to pick up some skills on the heavy trigger. I can keep them all in the 10 inch target at 50 feet but I'd like to improve that to all in the black..

Shooting tomorrow, I'll try to remember to take pics of the target.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am

10" at 50 feet is pretty acceptable I would say. Depending on the ammunition there is quite a bit of variance in hangguns. This is my everyday carry piece, and I do not think it is likely I would EVER be shooting at someone/something 50 feet away in a life and death situation, 15-25 feet seems reasonable for EDC training.

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 am

Rich McVey wrote:Good lookin piece of hardware, very sweet grouping. Im having issues pulling my groups togeather. Buddy says the heavy pull on mine may be the issue. if thats the case then I need to pick up some skills on the heavy trigger. I can keep them all in the 10 inch target at 50 feet but I'd like to improve that to all in the black..

Shooting tomorrow, I'll try to remember to take pics of the target.

Might be time for a trigger job. What's your pull weight?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:49 am

8 to 10 believe it or not. It was designed that way. No other safety than the heavy trigger and the long pull. I have been looking at having some work done to it to lighten the pull but have not taken it in to have them do it. Lots of discussion in the shooting forums about its trigger. I dont mind it really. Considering that I havnt shot more than 100 rounds in the last 25 years (outside of the Army and my M16) I would expect some ramp time with it. Im currently somewhere around 500 rounds thru it with only 1 FTE so far and that was round #2 that did that.

S&W SW9VE
Last edited by Rich McVey on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 pm

The kahr has a long pull as well. It is double action only with no safety and an 8 lb pull to keep from blowing you you know what off with the gun holstered inside the waistband. They use a really nice roller style trigger though and it is smooth all the way through and breaks evenly and predictably.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Matt wrote:The kahr has a long pull as well. It is double action only with no safety and an 8 lb pull to keep from blowing you you know what off with the gun holstered inside the waistband.

Ok, Reason #1 I have a hip holster.

Here's a good read - http://www.usacarry.com/mans-leather-ho ... discharge/
Last edited by Rich McVey on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm

If you look at it carefully the trigger was still exposed while in this holster. It was a matter of time before he got a KFB!
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 am

I don't think carrying IWB is dangerous if done correctly. The Crossbreed supertuck I ordered is leather backed and has a kydex holster for the gun riveted to it. Also, I don't think carrying centrally (over you junk) is the best position, if you carry it in the center of the back, or off to the side the muzzle is pointed out away from your body. With a kydex holster and DAO pistol I think a misfire is highly highly unlikely.

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”