target shooting land

All things related to hunting.
Ryan_1
Petty Officer

target shooting land

Post by Ryan_1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi,
I am looking for some places to go out into the woods and do some target shooting. I was wondering if anyone knew of any places where it is legal. Maybe around lake cavanaugh or something. Thanks

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

RE:target shooting land

Post by Splitshot » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:13 pm

There used to be a lot of places. Reiters pit, Sultan basin, Walace river, Mountain loop and others. The population has pushed out into the country so areas have been closed for safety. Areas like Sultan Basin were closed because of dumping. I was one of those who moved to the country. I get to shoot in my back "yard".[biggrin]

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:36 pm

There is also an aspect of target shooting that gets overlooked, the lead that remains after you are done shooting. A bullet it or two here and there is no big deal, but when you pump a few boxes down range it adds up. Compound that with the area being used by others with the same notion and you have the makings of an enviornmental mess. Pay a few bucks to use the local range. I guarantee you it will be safer and that you won't run across a group that breaks out a case of beer to go along with their ammo. Besides, once you factor in the gas it takes to get to an area where you can legally discharge a weapon, you are probably going to come out ahead using the range any way.

Ryan_1
Petty Officer

Post by Ryan_1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:41 pm

I know what you mean about the lead and stuff and my dad is going to take me and he wants to go into the woods and teach me how to shoot because its how he learned.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 pm

I know that tradition sometimes gets in the way of progress. There is nothing wrong with learning how to shoot at a proper gun club. In fact I bet you'd get more emphasis on safety at a range just because of the environment. Believe it or not, this is the most important part of learning to shoot. The Renton Fish and Game club is open to the public and has just about anything one could ask for to teach a beginner.

5 trap fields throwing American (16 yard) and handicap trap, continental trap, and doubles trap
Skeet field
International bunker field / Olympic Trap
Covered 50/100/200 yard rifle range
Covered 25/50 yard pistol range
Cowboy shooting / action bays
Walk-through archery range

I took my firearm safety course there a few decades ago and it hasn't changed much since then, I highly recommend it.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:56 pm

Learning to shoot in a very controlled environment is absultely the best and safest way to learn. Not to mention a lot less tickets and trips to the court room. I'm big on the environmental impact of lead in the soil too. Heavy metal is nothing to fool around with and soo darn poisonous. Our enviroment is in the shape it's in because a lot of people have done as their dads did.
Good on ya G!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”