wolves in spokane county

All things related to hunting.
getsome
Angler

wolves in spokane county

Post by getsome » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has heard or seen wolves in northern Spokane county west of my Spokane? I was doing some snowshoeing and heard a pack of either wolves or dogs, but they never barked just howled, I know its not coyotes. I went back today and heard them again, I'll try and post the recording

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Re: wolves in spokane county

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 pm

I havent seen them in spokane, I have a buddy who has. One of my buddies and i went to northern idaho for some archery elk hunting and we saw 2. hes invested in a .44 for next year, there becoming very abundant,
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 am

Some of our neighbors at Deer Lake has spotted wolves on the east side of the lake.

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Yes i have a buddy thats has 40 acres out of Oroville he got em up there...
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah its probably the huckleberry pack. Its a fairly new pack I think discovered back in June 2012. http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Might be worth letting WDFW know.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 am

schu7498, that is a very cool link. I had no idea there was that kind of wolf population here in WA.

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 am

You are right shu7498!!! That is what they are calling the pack.. We have cougar, bear, moose, elk, whitetail and mulies so there is a lot of food for them in the area.

Jigking Fishhead
Petty Officer

Post by Jigking Fishhead » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 am

I was on long lake (lake Spokane) chasing largies one early morning in November, and my boy and I heard some howling and we knew they weren't coyotes..
It is great to see the wolves back in their native habitat where they belong..
I have $60,000 invested in a boat, motor, gear and baits all to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. I wouldn't have it any other way.

getsome
Angler

Post by getsome » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I agree its great to see them back, I just hope they don't hurt hunting too much. Thanks everyone for what you've seen, I was skeptical of wolves so close to Spokane but now I know it wasn't just a fluke

Treefiddy
Angler

Post by Treefiddy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Except they are decimating the Okanagon elk herd and killing livestock north of Deer Park.

getsome
Angler

Post by getsome » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 am

Treefiddy wrote:Except they are decimating the Okanagon elk herd and killing livestock north of Deer Park.
I guess its time for some hunting tags for them

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 am

Oregon started freaking about the same thing with their emerging wolf recovery. They instituted a full kill ban (except if the wolves are actually caught in the act of attacking people or domestic livestock). Once the ranchers actually started managing their animals the livestock kills dropped dramatically. You will not probably EVER see wolf tags in our lifetimes as they are on the endangered species list in WA or OR. They will be one of the animals that is exclusively managed by the USFWS or WDFW. As of last month there are only 51 wolves in the entire state which is far from a number big enough to decimate the population of any of the sport hunted species. The Selkirk elk herd which is the herd in the Okanogan river area is comprised of 2 sub herds (the Pend Oreille herd and the Spokane herd) totaling some 3600 elk.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wolves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01350/wdfw01350.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Its not just time for tags its time for a year round open season! Back when sportsmans warehouse opened in Burlington/Mt Vernon I bought one of there hunting DVDs. A hunting ranch in Montana on the other side of yellowstone has lost there hunting area next to the park due to the wolfs. showed video of them ganging up on full sized animals elk, bear, bison, and there young. What its really going to take is for a human child to get killed for people to wake up about this dumb idea to put them back in the wild. Do your self a favor kill them on site and if your worried about getting caught gut shoot them. These animals are seeming to be killing for fun from what I have been hearing.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm

TroutSnipr wrote:Oregon started freaking about the same thing with their emerging wolf recovery. They instituted a full kill ban (except if the wolves are actually caught in the act of attacking people or domestic livestock). Once the ranchers actually started managing their animals the livestock kills dropped dramatically. You will not probably EVER see wolf tags in our lifetimes as they are on the endangered species list in WA or OR. They will be one of the animals that is exclusively managed by the USFWS or WDFW. As of last month there are only 51 wolves in the entire state which is far from a number big enough to decimate the population of any of the sport hunted species. The Selkirk elk herd which is the herd in the Okanogan river area is comprised of 2 sub herds (the Pend Oreille herd and the Spokane herd) totaling some 3600 elk.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wolves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01350/wdfw01350.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idaho put out tags to control them and sold out in the first 10 minutes

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:14 pm

I highly doubt only 51 wolves live in WA. They are known for killing lots of elk and leaving them to waste. They hunt for the sport when pickings are good.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 am

schu7498 wrote:I highly doubt only 51 wolves live in WA. They are known for killing lots of elk and leaving them to waste. They hunt for the sport when pickings are good.

You are correct they cant account for all of them. When Yellow Stone put them in they wanted to keep it to a manged 150 head. Its just exploded from there in just a couple years it was in the 500-800 and keeps getting worse. We need to fix this and get all sportsman involved. Ive heard some say well I dont hunt and that isnt the right response. Weather you hunt or fish we are Sportsman and we need to protect everyone's sports.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:04 am

Obviously no one RTFA...
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

narrows11
Petty Officer

Post by narrows11 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:23 pm

It is not good that wolves are back "in there natural habitat" that just means they are going to kill off elk and deer and kill a lot of livestock costing farmers a lot of money!
Just keep fishing

getsome
Angler

Post by getsome » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Farmers always have something to complain about. I think they should give out a certain amount of tags each year so deer and elk aren't hurt too much. The reason I think its good to see them "in their natural habitat" is because its awesome to encounter them out in the woods and is like what it must have been like a hundred years ago

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:33 am

The Colville tribe has a season for 9 wolf's this year
http://www.colvilletribes.com/fish_and_ ... egulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Hunting Topics - Sponsored By Mar Don Resort Duck Taxi”