rattlesnake lake crawfish

Our hardshelled friends found here.
kingcatcher
Petty Officer

rattlesnake lake crawfish

Post by kingcatcher » Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 pm

i was wandering if there is any crawfish in rattlesnake lake and if there is were would you place your traps?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:rattlesnake lake crawfish

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm

The last couple of years at least, I have found many crawfish in Rattlesnake lake. I had walked around the lake from the parking area. Going around the end of the lake which is near the parking area. Go over to where that huge rock is. You will know the one. Anywhere on that end of the lake, but I don't think it willl matter where honestly.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kingcatcher
Petty Officer

Post by kingcatcher » Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 pm

thanks for the info

kingcatcher
Petty Officer

Post by kingcatcher » Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm

anyone else fish for crawdads in rattlesnake lake?:bounce:

howardi211
Petty Officer

Post by howardi211 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:40 am

i dont actually fish for crawdads but i did stumble upon them accidentally. few buddies and i went to rattlesnake last weekend for a fun fishing trip. first time there, didn't realize how important a boat was for that lake. but either way, weather was great, ended up ust casting a few times. after that, one my of my buddies decided to take a stroll into the water, first rock he flipped over he caught one, flipped over another rock, found another one and it kept going. we ended up not fishing and just walking along side the water looking for crawdads. and keep in mind, this is in about a foot of water, so im guessing if you go deeper, you should find more. have fun! its a beautiful lake.

kingcatcher
Petty Officer

Post by kingcatcher » Wed May 20, 2009 8:15 pm

thanks i will try for them next time i go.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 pm

kingcatcher Lake Goodwin straight across from the State Park:-$ there is a open shallows in a cove:-# that area is stuffed with them the Bass love them and we BBQ a few:chef:

recon47
Angler

Post by recon47 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:24 pm

I went to Rattlesnake lake today and took the hike with intentions on fishing and planting some crawfish traps after the descent. On the way down I noticed a sign indicating selective gear rules so unless you know how to catch crawfish without bait you're SOL. So maybe cross Rattlesnake lake off the list.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:22 am

recon47 wrote:I went to Rattlesnake lake today and took the hike with intentions on fishing and planting some crawfish traps after the descent. On the way down I noticed a sign indicating selective gear rules so unless you know how to catch crawfish without bait you're SOL. So maybe cross Rattlesnake lake off the list.
Selective gear fishing is just that..... Fishing..... crawfish trapping is not the same thing.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:00 am

Yep Quadfather is right... There is another thread here about crawfishing in places that are closed to fishing that is the only rule I am wondering about. I think you can put traps in places that have closed seasons, but I don't know about some places that are "closed waters".

kingcatcher
Petty Officer

Post by kingcatcher » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:34 pm

thanks for that i was about to ask that same quesion but have not gone to rattlesnake in a while. thanks

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:27 pm

kingcatcher wrote:i was wandering if there is any crawfish in rattlesnake lake and if there is were would you place your traps?

I went out to Rattlesnake today with my son to drop the crawfish traps. Unfortuneately we didn't see any craws. In past years this lake has had lots of them. I believe they must still be there, but we had no such luck. We dropped our pots about 100 yards from the boat launch along the East shoreline. In past years I saw all the craws on the West shoreline near all those upstanding stumps. We used a combination of fresh trout (from the market) small can of dog food for stink potential, and a little beef liver.
The area we dropped into was extremley rocky, kind of like a rock slide off a mountain. Maybe my pots didn't actually get clsoe enough to the bottom:-"

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:36 pm

Pine lake.

Plenty of craws...

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am

Have you guys noticed a preferred depth, or are they pretty much everywhere?