Squidding starting?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Squidding starting?

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Ive never been squidding before. What do the jigs look like? Any pics?

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am

I decided to go the lazy route and ordered a submersible fishing light from Wally World.
$60 and it's got 90 Green LED's with 260 lumens output.
I'm hoping that will do the trick..although I still have no idea where to go in my area... [unsure]

chowdan
Angler

Post by chowdan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Salmon King wrote:I decided to go the lazy route and ordered a submersible fishing light from Wally World.
$60 and it's got 90 Green LED's with 260 lumens output.
I'm hoping that will do the trick..although I still have no idea where to go in my area... [unsure]
Have you tried out the light? I'm curious how it works.

Does green work better than white or blue?

I was at edmonds marina a month or so ago, and dudes running mini generators and white LED racks hung from the railing and they were constantly catching.

I'm curious if a light out of water, hanging above giving more "spread" is better than one submerged?

I've been tempted to build a bulb, but my big question is, i'm a cheap bastard, how do i go about powering the light without paying for a generator.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:20 pm

I have not received the light yet.
From what I've read green lights work best under water and a very bright white light will work above the water.
I did not order the white one as I want to keep this a secret.
Currently, as far as I can tell, there is nobody on Whidbey fishing for Squid.
I have checked with every fisherman I know, with the Park rangers at the state parks, and with the sporting goods stores in my area and get the same story.
"The limited after hours access to docks suitable to fish from limits fishing for Squid from shore.
If you want to be successful here then use a boat."

BUT...I have found a loophole that should allow me access. We'll see..."

I just hope they have not ALL migrated to the S. Sound so I can get some!

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:04 pm

best lights are the red to yellow lighting you get from sodium halogen lights but they also pull allot of power and get hot ... it maters on the dock to what lights to use a generator allowed then regular work lights 1000 watts work .. if its non generator dock they use 60 w porch / flood lights you buy at home depot and wire to work with a power inverter

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Before a person decides to spend a small fortune on lighting - or turning their days and nights inside out, they might consider a trip to the local dock during the day.

Its been a few years since I've been squidding, but when I used to go it was usually early afternoon and I did fairly well.

No lights for obvious reasons - just a few Korean made squid jigs, rod, a plastic bucket, and a couple of hours of my time.

There is no guarantee of any such success right now or any other time - but no matter the time of day or year - when they are in, they are IN - and you won't need to go to great lengths to put them in the bucket.

OnMyGame

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Onmygame wrote:Before a person decides to spend a small fortune on lighting - or turning their days and nights inside out, they might consider a trip to the local dock during the day.

Its been a few years since I've been squidding, but when I used to go it was usually early afternoon and I did fairly well.

No lights for obvious reasons - just a few Korean made squid jigs, rod, a plastic bucket, and a couple of hours of my time.

There is no guarantee of any such success right now or any other time - but no matter the time of day or year - when they are in, they are IN - and you won't need to go to great lengths to put them in the bucket.

OnMyGame

I know they are "IN" the South Sound...now...if they haven't all passed up Whidbey Island I may still have a chance at a few!
:-k

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:28 pm

dash point dock is a good day dock not gonna limit in a hour but will get enough for a meal .. also most docks have a guy selling jigs . but when its hot it puts puyallup river pinks battle fishing to shame .... its less then shoulder to shoulder at redondo

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:54 am

I picked up my limit in about 1.5 hours in Seattle a few nights ago. No one else at the dock. Action was fast and furious at times. No lights (other than the dim lamp-posts on the dock). So, don't give up and go home if there is nobody around with a light set-up--the squid will come around, and they will bite your jig whether or not someone is shining a light in the water.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:16 am

Well if this weather ever breaks....
I'd really like to give this a try off the Coupeville Wharf!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:40 am

Salmon King wrote:
TeachingTitusToFish wrote:A buddy of mine was testing out his new light setup last night at the Edmonds pier and pulled in a few. They're there :cheers:

Got any pictures of his light set up???
I want to make one but having trouble figuring out the waterproof part.

I was thinking of using a car headlight and making a waterproof box that I can float it on the water with...
There is a lot of cool DIY stuff on Youtube. I liked this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8idZ-UgJFtk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Quad...

I ended up buying a 250 Lumen led submersible green light from Walmart.com.

Now if I can just get the weather to cooperate.......

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:02 am

I'm squid illiterate. Isn't squidding more productive at night? We fish and crab off the pier at Kayak Point park and have unintentionally pulled some squid in which I chunk up for bottom fishing bait. The pier's open from 7am to dusk and is located next to the boat launch. Less traffic hassle than the Edmonds pier =D>
Bobber_Dogger

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 am

There are different colored LED Diamond drop lights that are water activated. They are sealed. Some flash, some don't. No batteries or generators required. Very reasonable online via Amazon. LED's shine super bright, are affordable and no hassle =D>
Last edited by Bobber_Dogging_Gal on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobber_Dogger

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:02 am

Hey everyone, has anyone tried squid fishing this year. Looking to go out for my first time. Drove by redondo yesterday and nobody yet. Any info is appreciated thanks.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:33 am

I think it's a little early yet.
I believe it gets best in late Sep or early Oct.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Bassman_Pat
Angler

Post by Bassman_Pat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

I caught my limit a few weeks ago in Area 10.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:10 am

Really nice. At night?

Bassman_Pat
Angler

Post by Bassman_Pat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:26 am

yes and did it again Monday night. Then caught 6 pounds Tuesday night.