How to find the best day for geoduck?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
panzhuming
Angler

How to find the best day for geoduck?

Post by panzhuming » Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi,

I read online that to find geoduck, low tide needs to be below -2 ft. I just looked at the next few days tide chart in a few locations close to Seattle (about 2 hours drive), none of them reaches that low tide level. Does that mean I should go for geoduck during the next few days, and wait till only when tide is lower?

Thanks!
Dennis

BentRod
Admiral

Re: How to find the best day for geoduck?

Post by BentRod » Fri May 22, 2015 5:53 am

Your odds of finding them will increase with the extreme low tide. Although you may still find a couple, the other factor is the time required to dig one. If the tide is not out far enough you may not have enough time to dig the one you find before water floods your hole severely hampering your efforts.
No reason you can't go try though. Check the Department of Health website for any shellfish warnings for the location your going and also check the WDFW website for beach/clam restrictions.
Good luck.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Re: How to find the best day for geoduck?

Post by Diverdoyle » Fri May 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Like stated you have to have enough time to get out to the duck beds find three normally people use landscaping flags to mark them or pee wee soccer cones ... The best luck you can have are boat access only beaches cause of less pressure on them. you will need a huge pipe to line the hole your digging in and plan to get wet covered in sand then the long walk back . Also study what the necks should look like nothing worse of trying to dig a duck but end up with a horse clam lol