Crabbing near Seattle

Our hardshelled friends found here.
yingers
Angler

Crabbing near Seattle

Post by yingers » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:32 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some good crabbing spots near Seattle? I moved here from New Jersey where we used to go out wading in shallow waters for blue crab. I'm looking forward to catching some Dungeness crabs. Wading spots would be great, but if not, any other spots where a boat isn't required would be appreciated, too.

Thanks in advance!

gpc
Admiral

RE:Crabbing near Seattle

Post by gpc » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:52 pm

I go out of Des Moines at least once a week. I just go right off the pier and do pretty well. The best bait to use is turkey or chicken and it has to be fresh, I have used bait that was a few days old and it still worked but bait that has been sitting out for a week or longer dosnt seem to work. As far as the best time to go, it really dont seem to matter. I have gone all day and crabbed there at night and caught crab. The majority of the catch is red rock but there is some dungeness out there as well, and some BIG ones at that. The average day is around 4 red rocks and a dungeness. The red rocks only have to be 5" too, so its pretty easy to walk away with a few.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 pm

8-2 is going to open up and you can go fish off the Edmonds pier, the Mukilteo pier....

Good luck....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

yingers
Angler

Post by yingers » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Do you just use Crab pots like this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/482182406.html

Any tips on where else/what type to buy?

thx!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:15 pm

yingers wrote:Do you just use Crab pots like this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/482182406.html

Any tips on where else/what type to buy?

thx!
You can use pots like that. I have a couple of those and they are good pots because once the crab are in its really hard for them to get back out. But it takes a little longer for the crabs to figure out how to get in, so it takes a longer soak then the rings. I prefer the rings because you can usually pull the rings after about a 20 min. soak and sometimes less. If you have an entire day, some times it does pay to have a ring and a pot. Then you can pull the ring every 20 minutes or so and the pot every hour or 2. The rings are really cheap too. It actually costs more for the rope and the bait boxes than the actual ring. They run about $10 a piece but will go on sale for as little as $8. But they do have some higher quality rings that the metal parts are wrapped in leather to help against the wear and tear of salt water. But dont be fooled, its always the netting that goes bad on the rings, not the metal part. The netting will only last about 2 years but it dosnt hurt too bad when you only pay $10 a piece for them. Out of des miones it seems that attaching the chicken/ turkey with zip ties instead of bait boxes works a lot better. Oh and make some slits with you knife on the meat.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:54 pm

If you got a boat, then use the pots because you can let several of them soak for a while. If you are at the pier use the rings because you cant leave them out overnight.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Hey yingers,

Welcome to washingtonlakes.com! And Welcome to Washington state!

I only went crabbing one time about 7 or 8 years ago with a buddy who was living on base at Fort Lewis. We went to a pier...I do not know the name of it, but it was where you go to catch the ferry to go to the prison. We tossed the rings in the water and we would wait 15 to 30 minutes depending on how long the story he or I was telling at the time. We pulled them in and tossed the little ones and put the legal ones in the bucket. There were a couple of kids who were catching their limit and then they would disappear and be back empty and catch some more. We figured they lived near by and were going to have a crab feast! The pier was like a party atmosphere not like when you go fishing on those crowded piers and bridges where you are afraid you will get shived if you encroach on somebody’s space. I am so glad I live in southwest Washington and not the Puget Sound area. I see the pictures there of guys lined up so close they could hold hands.
When we finished the crabbing, all limits reached we took them to his house and I had crab for the first (and only) time. He used some boxed seasoning to boil them and we dipped them in butter...oh, they were GREAT!

I know this does not address your question, but it was fun for me to remember all that. Thanks for indulging me.

Lewis

yingers
Angler

Post by yingers » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:40 pm

So where can I pick up some crab rings? I went to West Marine in Seattle, but they only had pots. Anything else I'll need to pick up?

Crab rings
Chicken/turkey
Bucket/cooler

Good story Iskiles! And thanks for all the info!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:20 pm

yingers wrote:So where can I pick up some crab rings? I went to West Marine in Seattle, but they only had pots. Anything else I'll need to pick up?

Crab rings
Chicken/turkey
Bucket/cooler

Good story Iskiles! And thanks for all the info!
You can find them almost anywhere. In fact I am surprised the place you went didnt have them. But the stores in federal way (sportmans and joes) both have them. But joes has a pretty wide selection of crabbing gear. Like I said the zip tyes work better, but I would crab a bait box or 2 just in case. You can get them for around $3 a piece. Also there is another thing you have to get. I cant really explain it, but you hook it to your crab ring and then you hook your rope to it. I know this dosnt mean anything but you will realize what it is when you go to the store. They have this crab smelly jelly, dont bother. If you want to add scent to use smelly jelly in herring or shrimp, but it really isnt needed. 1 thing about using fish for bait is the seals will rip them right out of your ring and will often damage your pot. A crab checker makes a huge difference when measuring your crabs. I always bring 2 buckets 1 full of supplies and 1 for the crab. In the other bucket I put the bait, a knife, a pair of needle nose, zip ties, extra rope, leather gloves, bait boxes and crab checker. Then that also turns into my garbage can when leaving the dock.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:35 pm

Another thing, when you first get down to the water to crab, take the opposite side of the rope that is tied to your ring and tie it to the handle on your 5 gallon bucket. Then lower the bucket into water to fill your bucket. This is if you are going from a pier that you cant reach the water. Then untie the bucket and start crabbing. The gear gets really heavy. I always bring 2 rings, so the walk back to the truck is always fun lol. 2 rings, a bucket of supplies a bucket of water and crab then the pole and the tackle box. It usually take 2 trips. All you need to squid is a shellfishing license. So it wouldn't hurt to pick up a few squid jigs, it really helps to pass the time between pulls. Its kind of hit or miss, but its worth it when you come home with squid and crab.

russoturristo
Angler

Post by russoturristo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:12 am

That's interesting,I've never tried crab fishing.So,all the tips on the above are good for noobs like me?Or do I need to know anything else?When the crab season will be over?What's the best place to fish without boat around Seattle?
Thanks.
P.S.How many is the daily limit?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:20 pm

russoturristo wrote:That's interesting,I've never tried crab fishing.So,all the tips on the above are good for noobs like me?Or do I need to know anything else?When the crab season will be over?What's the best place to fish without boat around Seattle?
Thanks.
P.S.How many is the daily limit?

The season that is open right now around the Seattle area is kind of a weird one They didnt meet there quota for the summer season so they opened up a winter season. I believe it opened up on nov. 2nd, but the season closes jan. 2nd. There is a lot of piers around the Seattle Tacoma area. I have really only crabbed at one, that is Des moinse pier and its pretty good from day to day, but I dont know how much it differs form pier to pier. But like I said there are piers everywhere so you cant live too far from one. The limit is 5 dungeness which have to be 6.25" and 6 red rocks that have to be 5". It seams that the winter season is way hotter than the summer season.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Welcome to Washington. You picked a great place to live with plenty of fishing opportunities. The square pots with doors on every side are in my experience the better producers. It seems the crab are able to find entry into the pots easier than the more expensive multi sided rubber coated pots which are 100.00 a pop (I have one of those). The square pots are inexpensive and last several years. You can also find them at K-Mart, Walmart, or Fred Meyer. You will need sinking line or weight to keep floating line off the surface. Not sure if that is required if crabbing from a dock but is from a boat. I agree that chicken or turkey is best and needs to be fresh. Cutting the meat is also a great recommendation. I like to use a ring while waiting for the pots to soak. I usually crab w/2 others on board so we drop 4 pots (2 per person) and the third person for the ring or rings, again 2 units of gear per person. Rings pass the time while waiting for the pots to fill. I know you said Seattle but, if you have a chance to come north to the Camano Island area, the State Park or County Park there have some good Dungeness crabbing opportunities if the tribes and commercial crabbers haven’t taken them all before the opener for sport crabbing (us). A boat is the best bet to crab in this area as I am not aware of any public piers on the island. During low tide you can wade at both these parks for crab and I have seen many taken this way. By the way, since you are in the Kirkland area you might consider a couple crayfish pots for Lake Washington or Sammamish. There is a post on this forum that talks all about it. Good eating if you like the taste of lobster. For WA State fishing/shell fishing rules go to the "links" key at the top of the WAlakes.com site, select WDFW news and go from there. You can download the regs. You can also get the regulations guide at almost any sporting goods store for free. Tide table is also on th elinks key. Great advice given by all. Good fishin!

yingers
Angler

Post by yingers » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:36 am

Hi,

Camano island isn't that far north. If people wade crab there, I might check it out. Wading might not be as productive, but it's a lot more interactive/fun. Where on Camano island have you seen waders? The more specific you can get, the better. Can the locations be reached without a boat? Alternatively, are there places to rent boats by those areas.

thanks!

yingers
Angler

Post by yingers » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:34 am

GPC,

I've never been squidding. If I wanted to do some on the side while waiting for the crab traps, what would I need?

Pole
squid jig
anything else?

Is there any specific time to go? It was mentioned that crabs can be caught any time of the day. Is it the same with squid?

thanks!

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 pm

A good place to wade is Picnic Point beach, south of the Shipwreck which is Area 9. Check the tides and go out when it's low, you'll definitely get into some crabs.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

yingers
Angler

Post by yingers » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:54 am

I went out last night and in 1.5 hrs caught 3 dungeness, 1 rock crab and 3-4 that were too small. I think I got lucky judging by the hauls of those around me, but it was a pretty exciting first time out!

Thanks for everyone's help!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:13 am

yingers wrote:GPC,

I've never been squidding. If I wanted to do some on the side while waiting for the crab traps, what would I need?

Pole
squid jig
anything else?

Is there any specific time to go? It was mentioned that crabs can be caught any time of the day. Is it the same with squid?

thanks!
Yep thats it just a squid jig and a fishing pole. Most people use 2 or 3 squid jigs though. I have heard rumors squid during the day, but havnt actually witnessed it. The best time to go is at night during the winter time, probably the worst time you could possibly be fishing lol. The squids are attracted to light so just work the lights on the pier.They also run in schools some are HUGE schools and others arnt too big. If you see a squid caught go and fish right next to the guy because there will be more.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:18 am

Area 9 was really good this week for me....Limits for both me and my dad every morning after an overnight soak, and we only had two pots (two others got stolen the first night out)
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....