clams - hood canal - how low of a tide?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Dustin07
Commodore

clams - hood canal - how low of a tide?

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

looks like the low tide this weekend is still pretty high, like a +2 to +4?

is that too high for clams? I've only done razors on the coast so i'm wondering if its even worth the drive to the canal if the tide is too high. I'd be happy to chase anything I could find out there though... clams, oysters, etc. ? any tips? [scared]

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Re: clams - hood canal - how low of a tide?

Post by Mordalphus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm sure it varies from location to location, but I've only noticed clam holes on a negative tide

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 pm

If you wait til next weekend the tides will be perfect. For this weekend If you know of oyster beds in a particular location you could probably get them wading. Depending on the beach you might find some manila clams, they tend to be higher up in the intertidal zone than the other clams.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 pm

the season ends this weekend for the spots I was considering, I just had a wild hair and it sounded like fun but when I checked the tides I realized that it might not work after all..... :-({|=

thanks for the responses guys :salut:

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Well it would definitely be worth your time to take a trip out to fort flagler state park. At low tide the clamming is amazing and it goes til Oct, also at low tide there are a lot of eel grass beds and you can also get your limit of red rock crab as well, just by picking them outta the grass.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 am

schu7498 wrote:Well it would definitely be worth your time to take a trip out to fort flagler state park. At low tide the clamming is amazing and it goes til Oct, also at low tide there are a lot of eel grass beds and you can also get your limit of red rock crab as well, just by picking them outta the grass.
well thank you very much :) I've not been there before. Maybe that would be a good weekend trip here in July after salmon opens up then. double whammy the seafood section :cheers: