WDFW notifying crawfish sellers not to ship live crawfish

Our hardshelled friends found here.
TerryBullard
Petty Officer

WDFW notifying crawfish sellers not to ship live crawfish

Post by TerryBullard » Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 pm

WDFW notifying crawfish sellers not to ship live crawfish to Washington State. Big fines involved.
I just read this today and frankly was surprised. I know its been a Federal law for years and has been ignored by most States. I know Molly really set into motion public awareness on crawfish and Jon Anderson is a huge supporter, all great people. It seems WDFW is really sitting up and taking notice as a whole. Has anyone else heard anything new on crawfish regulations lately? Personally I would love to see a year round unlimited open season on invasive crawfish. Its great to know that WDFW is keeping focused no smaller issues like crawfish and not just one of the biggest issues, the Wolf, what a storm that is.
Crawfish Regulation suggestions anyone?
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?

G-Man
Admiral

Re: WDFW notifying crawfish sellers not to ship live crawfis

Post by G-Man » Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

In a perfect world, opening up the harvesting of invasive crayfish to year round and no limit would be a great idea. However, in our world it would probably do much more harm than good. We have anglers that can't tell the difference between a trout and a salmon let alone be able to identify our native signal crayfish. Add to that, I still find myself "reminding" people that there is a minimum size limit on crayfish and that the clumps of "sand" stuck on the the underside of the crayfish are eggs which means that it can't be kept.

What I think would help is publishing, in the regs and on the WDFW web site, a list of lakes where non-native species have been documented. At these lakes colored signs should be displayed at common access points, much like the have done with bull trout waters, to aid in identification and inform the fishermen of the current regulations.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri May 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Some people don't read those signs, some people just don't care, some people will poach anyway. They moved the REAL BIG sign at the boat launch from under the trees down to the side of the launch, and people STILL can't do the 5 mph speed limit.
Tom.

Interests: living

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Fri May 24, 2013 3:02 pm

I guess that means no sacks for the boil next Mardi Gras. I didn't even know [scared] I've called my family in Louisiana and had 'em shipped live cargo on American Airlines (my cousin is an attendant and can fly cargo for free) for years and just gone and picked them up at the airport.
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Fri May 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Who needs to have crayfish flown in? There's plenty here to catch!

I own an aquarium business, and have had to follow the invasive species restrictions for years, why not everyone else? Makes sense to me!

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Fri May 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Well when you are trying to do a crawfish boil for 30 people that's a little beyond what most people are going to be able to catch on their own. I mean I've had the huge plastic net sacks that 50lbs of onions/potatoes come in sent air freight same day from Louisiana. I know that places like Chuck's Seafood Grotto in Snohomish and the Pike Place market downtown have live crawfish flown in.

Mordalphus
Lieutenant

Post by Mordalphus » Fri May 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah, and the federal department of fish and wildlife will allow food exemptions most of the time, so those will probably be allowed still. But probably not direct shipments to non business customers.

But, since you're having a family member ship them to you, I don't think dfw would ever be involved. Not that it makes it any more legal.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Post by TroutSnipr » Sat May 25, 2013 5:57 am

And it's not like I'm some dumb ass who's going to dump those tasty beasties in a creek somewhere either....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Way back ,we used to use crayfish tails for summer steel. We did well at dusk and dawn using them.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:36 pm

TroutSnipr wrote:And it's not like I'm some dumb ass who's going to dump those tasty beasties in a creek somewhere either....
Maybe "YOUR" not! But Lake Washington's problem is saying that there are some "STUPIDS" out there!!!!