Crabbing & Shrimping, Keeping those lines straight!!!

Our hardshelled friends found here.
triehl27
Petty Officer

Crabbing & Shrimping, Keeping those lines straight!!!

Post by triehl27 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 am

Just a quick note on a product I have been utilizing for the last several years. Electrical cord storage spools. Available at Lowes. The Inexpensive at $6-7 ea, and make line storage SO MUCH EASIER!!!

In Fact the way we usually do it is to start at the buoy end, and wrap. Then when you deploy the trap it unwinds out, the buoy end is secured through the cord hole of the spool, attach buoy, and throw the entire thing overboard, buoy staff and spool beneath it. Then on retrieval, the spool is still right there and as soon as the buoy is detached ready to wind.

For shrimping I get the larger spool with the frame MUCH EASIER TO WIND ONTO. Winding up 150' of crab line is easy. Winding up 400' of shrimpline, well I like it sitting on the floor with an actual crank. I don't throw the shrimp spool over. I was using the lighter thinner poly rope, I am unsure if 400' of leaded will fit. As a substitute you could move to a hose reel that would easily accommodate 400+ft of leaded line. Myself and another member on gamefishin are testing the leaded line to see exactly how much we can fit on the smaller reel.

THe added benefit is when you are done, toss the spool right in the trap and it's ready to rinse off and store.

For Crab Lines: http://www.lowes.com/pd_71677-1373-KW-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... facetInfo=

For Shrimp Lines: http://www.lowes.com/pd_71315-1373-K-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... facetInfo=

SoDakboy
Petty Officer

Re: Crabbing & Shrimping, Keeping those lines straight!!!

Post by SoDakboy » Wed May 01, 2013 2:17 pm

I was thinking of something like this for my nylon anchor line, I was thinking of something for Christmas lights...

triehl27
Petty Officer

Re: Crabbing & Shrimping, Keeping those lines straight!!!

Post by triehl27 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Embarrassing as it is to admit we use the hand wrap ones for everything, chrismas lights included.

Now the framed one is available at Mal Wart stores for 8.88, and IT WILL fit 400' of poly rope wiith a loop on both ends. I wouldn't be tossing it around carelessly as it is plastic, but it will fit all 400' of line.