Frye Cove Oysters?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
fishndude
Petty Officer

Frye Cove Oysters?

Post by fishndude » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 am

Hi everyone!

My friends and I are going to the Pacific beaches for razor clams this coming weekend. On the way there, we'd like to do some oystering. I know Penrose, Potlatch, Belfair, and Dosewallips are great places but they are a little out of the way. From looking at the wdfw website, I found Frye Cove County Park as both conveniently on the way and open for retention. It also says it has a "good" population of oysters, but the report was last updated in March 2011. Just seeing if anyone out there can vouch for the oyster populations at this park? If not, do you guys know of any other spots preferably on the way to the Pacific beaches?

Thanks much!!!
-fishndude

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Frye Cove Oysters?

Post by racfish » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I dont know that area at all. Just call to make sure no Red Tides.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Frye cove has some oysters, but not not as many as some of the hood canal beaches. I know I would go out there and get some when I lived on steamboat island, but most of mine came from the island area. Make sure you check the hotline, a lot of times it will be closed due to pollution.

fishndude
Petty Officer

Post by fishndude » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks guys!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 pm

natetreat wrote:Frye cove has some oysters, but not not as many as some of the hood canal beaches. I know I would go out there and get some when I lived on steamboat island, but most of mine came from the island area. Make sure you check the hotline, a lot of times it will be closed due to pollution.
how low does the tide need to be for those hood canal oysters?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Dustin07 wrote:
natetreat wrote:Frye cove has some oysters, but not not as many as some of the hood canal beaches. I know I would go out there and get some when I lived on steamboat island, but most of mine came from the island area. Make sure you check the hotline, a lot of times it will be closed due to pollution.
how low does the tide need to be for those hood canal oysters?
Not terribly low at all. They hang out in the upper half of the beach. Same with steamers. It's the ducks that you need the crazy minus tides for.

Caldwell
Angler

Post by Caldwell » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm

I just got back from a clamming trip at Frye Cove County Park. There were oysters here and there, and I had a couple on the beach as a snack, but it's nothing like what you'd see on the canal. The clamming was good though.