First time Crayfish fishing in WA

Our hardshelled friends found here.
JustMe
Angler

First time Crayfish fishing in WA

Post by JustMe » Mon May 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Went crayfish fishing on Lake Washington - soak one pot with tuna overnight, nothing. Next was Lake Meridian - soak one pot with chicken legs overnight, nothing. Then went to Rattlesnake Lake - soak for two nights, nothing. Is the temperature too cold, or what?
I've never been poor, only broke. Being poor is a frame of mind. Being broke is only a temporary situation - Mike Todd

TerryBullard
Petty Officer

Re: First time Crayfish fishing in WA

Post by TerryBullard » Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 am

JustMe wrote:Went crayfish fishing on Lake Washington - soak one pot with tuna overnight, nothing. Next was Lake Meridian - soak one pot with chicken legs overnight, nothing. Then went to Rattlesnake Lake - soak for two nights, nothing. Is the temperature too cold, or what?
Temperature is a slight problem now but your real problem is the bait you are using. Spring bait should be herring or shade. As the water temperature warms, ditch the herring and go with shad, salmon trims, other long lasting baits. Chicken and tuna are not on the good bait list period.
Terry Bullard
--
Crayfishing Made Easy
Everyone is Doing It!
Are You?

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Tue May 22, 2012 10:35 am

I tried for the 1st time as well last weekend and used trout heads in a lake in Jefferson County. Nothing. I'll give the herring a try. Thanks!

[thumbup]

JustMe
Angler

Post by JustMe » Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 pm

DavidA wrote:I tried for the 1st time as well last weekend and used trout heads in a lake in Jefferson County. Nothing. I'll give the herring a try. Thanks!

[thumbup]
Hey. I tried yesterday on Green River - overnight soak (chicken leg). Got one only. At least my kids were happy to see it. :cheers:
I've never been poor, only broke. Being poor is a frame of mind. Being broke is only a temporary situation - Mike Todd

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Tue May 29, 2012 9:42 am

Well, I heard the price of Herring was a little steep so I tried salmon catfood, twice. Kitsap Lake (Kitsap County) - nothing. Leland Lake (Jefferson County - different spot from the previous week) - nothing. Another guy here also got nothing in yet another part of the lake on the same day. No overnight soaks, but in the water for first 3 hours, then 6. I guess I am learning the hard way: The gentleman said herring!