Squidding 2015

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Farva
Angler

Squidding 2015

Post by Farva » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:08 am

I've had a pretty good salmon season so far this year, but was curious about squidding. From reading previous posts it seems like now's around the time squidding starts in the fall/winter? Anyone have any gear/technique suggestions for a squidding noob?

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Re: Squidding 2015

Post by Diverdoyle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:34 am

what part of the sound are you from ... mostly any dock is doing well and most docks will have someone selling jigs they make at home for that local area .

Farva
Angler

Post by Farva » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:44 pm

I live over by the Boeing in Renton. I'd rather spend my time on the river for silvers right now, but was thinking about hitting up the Edmonds pier a little closer to the end of October/early November.

I've seen guys fishing for them at night usually, but have heard of people catching them during the day too. What time of day do you squidding vets have the best luck with?

Also, I imagine the incoming tide would produce better than the outgoing?

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:55 am

I saw people catchin squid in the afternoon yesterday. 3-6pm. They are definitely in...

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:39 am

were they getting decent numbers? might just have to dust off the ol' squid rod :cheers:
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:54 am

Maybe 1 every 5min or so for 1 pole. I wasn't watching too closely. Saw a ton of people headin to the dock when I was leaving at dusk...

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:41 am

thanks 3footvis. thats pretty good, i'll check out edmonds first tide i can hit
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Farva
Angler

Post by Farva » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:19 pm

With all the coho closures I think I'll hit the squidding earlier than expected.

3footvis, what area did you see them being pulled in at?

machewbacca
Petty Officer

Post by machewbacca » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm

I hit Area 11 near Dash Point... my dad and I limited out... we were on a boat though. Saw plenty of people catching from the dock it was packed. They are in thick. We caught one limit in about 30mins. Every drop to the bottom was squid on sometimes triples, and this was around 9am. They are big, plentiful and delicious. Good luck out there!

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:36 pm

What is the best way to ink them out and then prepare them for cooking?
I have never done any Squidding and in fact I cannot even find anyone on N. Whidbey that even knows where to go?
How deep off the docks?
What color of light works best?
I see lures (jigs) for sale in lots of colors and styles...is one better than another??

Lots of questions but I can't find any local experts...let alone one that will share their secrets.
Thanks all...

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Salmon King wrote:What is the best way to ink them out and then prepare them for cooking?
I have never done any Squidding and in fact I cannot even find anyone on N. Whidbey that even knows where to go?
How deep off the docks?
I see lures (jigs) for sale in lots of colors and styles...is one better than another??

Lots of questions but I can't find any local experts...let alone one that will share their secrets.
Thanks all...
Same here. Never been and would like to try it but have no clue.....

gpacho
Angler

Post by gpacho » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 am

Salmon King wrote:What is the best way to ink them out and then prepare them for cooking?
How deep off the docks?

Thanks all...
This vid should help with cleaning and one way of cooking. It is a different type of squid in the video but same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYbPL0Qtavk

I don't use a light so can't help there. As far as depth, I like to be bouncing off the bottom or right above it. Sometimes they are up high, just depends but start low. I don't think a color matters as much as contrast. I've seen them caught on everything.

The main the is being there when a school comes through. They come and go. You'll see some ppl not even putting a line in until they see other ppl start bringing them in.

I like to buy my jigs from the ppl on the dock. They are cheaper, but just look out for the ones not made with stainless steel, they'll rust.