Crabbing question

Our hardshelled friends found here.
doyourtime89
Angler

Crabbing question

Post by doyourtime89 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:39 pm

I want to ask a question about crabbing and see if anyone out here does this or know why people do this. Every time I go out crabbing I avoid other peoples buoys/pots. I figure I don't want to drop mine near another pot so I am not competing for the crab in that general area. And I also spread my own pots out so, my own pots are competing against each other. But it never fails, I go out of my way to get away from other people and after I drop my pots someone will come along and drop their pots right next time mine. WHY??? Or the other one that blows me away is a couple people will come out and drop all 4 of their pots right next to each other. WHY??? Am I missing something??? Side note, opening morning my dad, son and myself dropped 4 pots and soaked them for an hour and we got our 3 limits and had to throw back 2 legal crabs.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Crabbing question

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:14 pm

An amazing number of people have no common sense and/or no consideration for others at all. Its depressing.

Want to share where you were in a general way? Most reports I have seen have been far less successful than yours :)

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:24 pm

There are far more people crabbing now than there was just a few years ago. This puts a cramp on the popular spots and makes folks like you and me search out areas with less pressure. Fret not, even if someone does crowd your pots, they are most likely the same people who don't know how to bait a trap and will not effect your success much, if any. Best of luck and if you find a good spot with little or no pressure, keep it under your hat and use the smallest buoys you have. I have found that the biggest buoys/flags draw the most attention.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:22 pm

... Lol it's not as easy as just dropping a pot an boom crab .. So it gets comical seeing people crowd a spot .. In my group we crab off gps locations regardless of pots close or far plus we track each crab caught so we are able to keep track of spots that are hot or dead never had issues getting limits plus it helps if you have the right bait .. What gets me is crab poachers people who pull your pot when your not looking ..

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 am

What's the problem? You limited out right? We got limits for 6 people, using four pots two days in a row with crab buoys all around ours. One pot was picked clean too. As long as i get my limits and My pot doesn't get stolen, there's nothing to be complaining about. That's just me though.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Looking for Responsible Crabbing Buddies. North 8-2

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:46 am

Anyone here been crabbing north 8-2 or looking for someone to go crabbing with? We have plenty of gear, just no boat. North Snoco, KP area. We're mellow, responsible people, over 50. Please be okay with respectful smokers. Thanks. [thumbup]
Bobber_Dogger

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

To G-Man: Stick Buoys & a Pair of 10x50 Binocs

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 am

To G-Man: I have to differ with you when you said "use the smallest buoys you have. the biggest buoys/flags draw the most attention". I switched to stick buoys because they're easier to keep an eye on. No more hunting and pecking to find our pots from a distance. We have a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars when other boaters are near our pots. There's too many thieves out there stealing expensive gear or raiding pots. They'd be nabbed at the boat launch =D>
Bobber_Dogger

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Savy crabbers usuallly layer their pots down current from others.
The scent trail laid out from others pots bring the crab in and they find your pots 1st!

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:05 pm

some people just say screw it and go off gps locations and layout of the area they are fishing .. same way its done on commercial boats / deadliest catch style ... it sucks when people lay on top of you but its also down to baits and pots everything is a what if keep a log note what works go from there