Escape Hatch on Square Crab Traps

Our hardshelled friends found here.
viiilx04
Angler

Escape Hatch on Square Crab Traps

Post by viiilx04 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:48 pm

Calling to all experts and novice alike. For the first time, I plan to go crabbing so I headed to Cabelas for some traps and ended up with the smaller square-ish ones. When I was getting them ready, one thing bugged me: the escape hatch opened up at the top of the trap.

Isn't the idea was for the rot cord to rot out to open the escape hatch to free the crabs should I lose the trap? But how do the crab know to climb to the top and push the door open?

I am tempting to revert the door and put it from the underside, so without being held by the cord it would drop vertically and open the hatch.

Please share your knowledge.

Thanks.
Luong

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Escape Hatch on Square Crab Traps

Post by A9 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Can you post a picture/link to a picture of a similar trap?

Your explanation has me confused.. What is this "door" on the top of the pot?

If I were you, I would go buy the cheap Danielson collapsible square pots. Zip tie a piece of rebar or brick for weight and your set. Cheapest pot but it fishes the best.....

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:34 am

A9 wrote:Can you post a picture/link to a picture of a similar trap?

Your explanation has me confused.. What is this "door" on the top of the pot?

If I were you, I would go buy the cheap Danielson collapsible square pots. Zip tie a piece of rebar or brick for weight and your set. Cheapest pot but it fishes the best.....
[thumbsup]

viiilx04
Angler

Post by viiilx04 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 am

Sorry, I cannot find any descriptive picture for this, I'll see if I can take a clear picture tonight, but here is hopefully a better description:

1. The "door" on top, I think serves dual purposes: both an access door and an escape hatch. It is about 8"x10" wide, flipping open like the trap door except it opens out. A rot cord is attached to this door. a bungy cord is attached to the rot cord, a hook is attached to the bungy cord. You use the hook to keep the door closed. Think of the rubber band that keeps the trap door closed at packaging. My concern was, when the rot cord is rotten, the hook is released so the door is free. However, since it opens out, the crabs need to push it from underneath to escape. If it were to be installed from the underside, it would drop open giving the dumber crabs a better chance.

2. This is even cheaper than the Danielson (a little more compact, 21"x21", seems a bit studier too)

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm

The "escape hatch" on your trap is placed correctly. Trust me, a trapped animal will scour every inch of its cage and find a way out if possible.

viiilx04
Angler

Post by viiilx04 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks. I'll leave it as is. Easier to take the crabs out if I will catch any.