Smoking salmon problem

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
motorek
Petty Officer

Smoking salmon problem

Post by motorek » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 pm

I am new to smoking fish. I smoked pink salmon, which I cough in the salt, and I also recently smoked coho salmon. What I have found is that my smoked salmon is much drier comparing to store-bought smoked salmon. I use a receipt from salmon university and my salmon was paper dry, and when I bought some smoked salmon from the market, it was very juicy and full of oil. My assumption is that either the fish from market have some extra added oil or they are higher quality Alaskan salmon, and full of natural oils. Am I doing something wrong, is it my smoker, my technique? I am using a simple smoker without automatic temperature regulation. I just simply leave the door open to decrease the temperature.

Any opinions?

Kfedka
Commander

RE:Smoking salmon problem

Post by Kfedka » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 pm

What model/make smoker are you using?

If your fish taste too dry I think it could be one of two things. First you are leaving it to long in the smoker, so the fishing is dried instead of smoked, or second prior to putting the fish in the smoker after brining it you are drying it out to long.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Just a guess but it may be that your smoker is a bit too hot. I smoke at about 160 degrees or so for about 3.5 hours. I also rinse my salmon fillets in cold water and pat them dry after brining and before smoking. Let us know how your next batch turns out.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:11 am

Brine longer smoke slower....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:36 am

Dont forget that store bought salmon has many preservatives and other chemicals that slow down the rotting.When we smoke at home we use nothing but a brine solution.Fish caught in the river will be more oilier then fish caught in the salt.I brine for 8 hours ,rinse the fish in cold water and rack them to dry for a couple hours before I smoke them,This gets rid of the outer layer of salt that will dry out the meat.Try venting your smoker more so that your smoking is done a lil cooler then the smokers usually say.Dont over use salt.When you put your fish in the brine the fish pieces will float in the brine not sink to the bottom.Then your brine is good.Good luck on future smoking....
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:31 am

Could it be in the brine to long? If using smaller pieces of fish you might not want to brine as long. Pinks have less oil than coho. What you might want to do it test it after 3 or 4 hours and see when to take it off. To get it the way you want it.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:47 pm

One thing to add to the list of suggestions is to make sure you use a water pan and place your fish on the rack closest to the pan.

I also tried the SalmonU recipe and found that it did produce a bit dryer salmon for me. Not sure if it's because it's a dry brine. From my (limited) experience it seems that the wet brines do a bit better job at keeping the fish moist.

One thing that might help with making sure you don't dry it out in the smoker is get one of those remote thermometers so you can make sure you pull out the fish right when it's done.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Keep an eye on your fish as ya cook it. Thicker the fish the longer the time. Thinner the cuts less time. It takes some getting use to if your using charcoal type smoker thats what I use with burnt wood and alder smoke. Also higher heat will dry out quicker too. As far as the salt Ive not had my fish dry out do to salt. Your smoking it Try it with no salt it still drys out. Its length of time cooking that does that. Chum have the lest oil, then pink, steelhead, sokeye, coho, chinook just my opinion but the pink and chums are the only ones I smoke up. The others are just too damn good baked or BBQ.
More fish please!

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:25 am

MikeFishes wrote:One thing to add to the list of suggestions is to make sure you use a water pan and place your fish on the rack closest to the pan.

I also tried the SalmonU recipe and found that it did produce a bit dryer salmon for me. Not sure if it's because it's a dry brine. From my (limited) experience it seems that the wet brines do a bit better job at keeping the fish moist.

One thing that might help with making sure you don't dry it out in the smoker is get one of those remote thermometers so you can make sure you pull out the fish right when it's done.
Water pan? I did not use water in my smoker. I have electric smoker - Big chief smoker. There is a small tray in the assembly, should it be filled out with water?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 am

Yea, That will make a huge difference. I alwayse have my water pan full of fresh clean water. It makes a huge difference in both my Brinkman and the Masterbuilt

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 am

Another quick lil notion is to change the racks around while smoking.This will keep it evenly smoked during the process.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am

First let me say, no water pans for smoking fish. They are for smoking meat.

It's really hard to tell what the problem is by having it described in the post. Too many things could be going on for a good diagnosis. Now if I were to guess I would be inclined to think that the fish were not allowed adequate time to form a pelicul to protect the moisture in the fish. If a pelicul is not formed all the moisture will be driven from the fish in the cooking process. 24 hours in the fridge before going in the smoker is the plan.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:36 pm

I recently smoked a batch during this cold weather, and for some reason, it was the worst tasting batch I have ever smoked up. The outside of the meat was jerky tough and the inside was soft and mushy. I have an electric Brinkmann. Kinghunter who has a Lil Chief Electric noticed the same issue with his batch. What gives?
"One more......."

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi ya jens, I haven't any experience with the Brinkmann, but I smoke using a Big Chief, and the low temps are a huge prob without a lil addaptation. I smoked up a batch last week with the temps of mid teens out. The smoker is in an unheated outbuilding, so I used some insulating material used in high heat applications on the back, sides and top of the smoker. I left the vents on the top uncovered and the front is uncovered. Also I had to put a radiant heater in front of the unit to bring it up to heat (150-160f). so my guess is the temp is not geting high enough and the outside of the fish is drying to a jerky consistency without raising the internal temp of the fish up high enough to finish the job. I had similar results before I modified with the insulation. Last weeks fish turned out pretty good, and I will be taking some of it to a workplace potluck on a bed of lettuce. Good luck with the next batch of smoking.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:17 am

Bodofish wrote:First let me say, no water pans for smoking fish. They are for smoking meat.
Really? I use water in my tray for almost everything except jerky. Now most of the time when I smoke salmon, its a thicker cut for dinner and I use a higher temp. Even when I would smoke it for snacking I use water.

What would be the benifit other than drying the salmon out more?

Rich
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:49 am

blufin loui wrote: Hi ya jens, I haven't any experience with the Brinkmann, but I smoke using a Big Chief, and the low temps are a huge prob without a lil addaptation. I smoked up a batch last week with the temps of mid teens out. The smoker is in an unheated outbuilding, so I used some insulating material used in high heat applications on the back, sides and top of the smoker. I left the vents on the top uncovered and the front is uncovered. Also I had to put a radiant heater in front of the unit to bring it up to heat (150-160f). so my guess is the temp is not geting high enough and the outside of the fish is drying to a jerky consistency without raising the internal temp of the fish up high enough to finish the job. I had similar results before I modified with the insulation. Last weeks fish turned out pretty good, and I will be taking some of it to a workplace potluck on a bed of lettuce. Good luck with the next batch of smoking.
The temperature outside when we smoked our batch was in the high teens. I am glad to know it isn't our smokers, but the freezing cold. I was almost tempted to do it in my garage, but I read some horror stories of people doing that.
Thanks Loui for your help. :cyclopsan
"One more......."

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 am

jens wrote:
blufin loui wrote: Hi ya jens, I haven't any experience with the Brinkmann, but I smoke using a Big Chief, and the low temps are a huge prob without a lil addaptation. I smoked up a batch last week with the temps of mid teens out. The smoker is in an unheated outbuilding, so I used some insulating material used in high heat applications on the back, sides and top of the smoker. I left the vents on the top uncovered and the front is uncovered. Also I had to put a radiant heater in front of the unit to bring it up to heat (150-160f). so my guess is the temp is not geting high enough and the outside of the fish is drying to a jerky consistency without raising the internal temp of the fish up high enough to finish the job. I had similar results before I modified with the insulation. Last weeks fish turned out pretty good, and I will be taking some of it to a workplace potluck on a bed of lettuce. Good luck with the next batch of smoking.
The temperature outside when we smoked our batch was in the high teens. I am glad to know it isn't our smokers, but the freezing cold. I was almost tempted to do it in my garage, but I read some horror stories of people doing that.
I've also had success pulling the racks of fish after the smoking process, and placing them in my oven at the lowest setting with the door cracked open a bit. Makes the house smell a tad bit fishy...but a lot safer than other methods.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm

mav186 wrote:
jens wrote:
I've also had success pulling the racks of fish after the smoking process, and placing them in my oven at the lowest setting with the door cracked open a bit. Makes the house smell a tad bit fishy...but a lot safer than other methods.
so awsome you bring up the safety issue mav186. cold temps and auxillary heating methods are always a concern.
Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Season

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 pm

RaMcVey wrote:
Bodofish wrote:First let me say, no water pans for smoking fish. They are for smoking meat.
Really? I use water in my tray for almost everything except jerky. Now most of the time when I smoke salmon, its a thicker cut for dinner and I use a higher temp. Even when I would smoke it for snacking I use water.

What would be the benifit other than drying the salmon out more?

Rich
Are you smoking the fish or steaming the fish? I like a good poached salmon as much as the next guy.......

The water can soften the pelicule allowing the moisture you've sealed in to escape.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm

I just saved the cardboard box it came in and if it's too cold I just put the box over the top.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”