Thanksgiving Dinner

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Thanksgiving Dinner

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:40 am

My family is a bit scattered so the holidays are about the only time we all get together at the same time, so dinner is usually grand.

This year we will converge on my sisters house for a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Green salad, Marinated salad, mashed taters, corn, green beans, brown sugar sweet potatoes with marshmallows toasted on top....

Before, durring, and after the meal... football. A couple people bring pictures, or laptops with digital pics and BS about the last years events and swap stories.

At my house we will be smoking a roast or a ham over the weekend served with, baked baby reds, green salad and asparagus.

What are the holidays at your place like?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Thanksgiving Dinner

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:02 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMM mmmmm.I'm smoking a turkey and possibly doing a turduken(sp) both on the Traeger.I never tried a turduken before but I've eaten some.A turduken is a turkey stuffed with a chicken stuffed with a duck smoked then cooked.Ifin I dont post after TD then it didnt come out right and I'll be sick.Hahaha.Thanksgiving day is my traditinal day to go Steelheading.Hopefully I'll be eating steelie after the turkey.With Weight Watchers and everything I'm gonna be very weight and food concious on T.D.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:21 am

Ive heard those are good. How long would you smoke something like that?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 am

racfish wrote:MMMMMMMMMMMMM mmmmm.I'm smoking a turkey and possibly doing a turduken(sp) both on the Traeger.I never tried a turduken before but I've eaten some.A turduken is a turkey stuffed with a chicken stuffed with a duck smoked then cooked.Ifin I dont post after TD then it didnt come out right and I'll be sick.Hahaha.Thanksgiving day is my traditinal day to go Steelheading.Hopefully I'll be eating steelie after the turkey.With Weight Watchers and everything I'm gonna be very weight and food concious on T.D.
Our family is from louisiana, so we eat turkdunkens all the time. you will love it.:cheers:
i am thinking about smoking something also this year. i know my wife won't go for the turkey in the smoker. (no faith in my smoking abilities yet:-" But that doesn't mean i can't put something in there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:26 am

=p~ traditionaly football, beer, and not eating the whole day, only to indulge in turkey, beer, stuffin, beer, mashed taters & rolls, beer, tater and fruit salad, beer, cranberries, beer, corn, beer, sweet potato, pumpkin, and blackberry pie's. and topped off with BEER :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I can't wait =p~
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 am

Those who haven't tried deep fried turkey, it is DEELISH! First time I tried it, it was surprisingly moist.
"One more......."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Ifin my figure looked like the one in your avatar I'd be stuffing mysel every year.But unfortunately I used to look like the Goodyear Blimp.So no fried foods for me for a long while.Like Dave I'm working my way down in size.Thanks giving is a toture holiday for me.(Food Wise)
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 pm

racfish wrote:Ifin my figure looked like the one in your avatar I'd be stuffing mysel every year.But unfortunately I used to look like the Goodyear Blimp.So no fried foods for me for a long while.Like Dave I'm working my way down in size.Thanks giving is a toture holiday for me.(Food Wise)
I quit smoking 2.5 years ago - I gained some poundage. I am not sure on the calorie count on deep fried turkey, but the white part of the meat couldn't be too bad...well maybe it is, since it is fried in peanut oil...
"One more......."

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:09 pm

The outside is fried .. inside juices are sealed in by the process. Well that is what the vocies in my head keep telling me.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 pm

:chef: we have 18 coming over this year. two turkey breasts on the traeger and a bird in the oven. all the normal tday food to go with them. we did a turdukin one year on the traeger it was ----different but good. have fun all.

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:08 am

Im curious about the turdurken before I do mine.Different but good is scarey sounding.Hahaha.Does the gameyness of the duck overpower the chicken and turkey?Plus where does all the fat from the duck go.I remember making Peking Duck and had to drain the pan once during cooking.

stanford
Petty Officer

Post by stanford » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Yeah John Maddens good ole Turducken. I have heard people doing quail inside pheasant inside a goose! Turkey Duck Chicken
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:55 pm

"quail inside pheasant inside a goose" is that called a queefse?

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:30 am

Non-Traditional for us. It's going to be Cornish Game Hens in the dutch oven with cabbage, onions and carrots. Well, maybe a traditional pumpkin pie.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 am

My sis and her family will be coming up for the week. But Tday will be one oven roasted and one deep fried turkey. followed by a big green salad, greenbeans or broc, sweet pots and or Yams what ever looks better when shopping, mashed taters and gravey, creamed onions and my grand fathers special apple stuffing. I will be having my 4 oz of white meat, 0ne cup of sweat pots and a lage helping of greens. Next I'll be passing on the pies and icecream. Life goes on, it'll be nice to visit with my sis and her boys.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:24 am

racfish wrote: "quail inside pheasant inside a goose" is that called a queefse?
The ingredients sound good but the name just sounds.............
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:29 am

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:The outside is fried .. inside juices are sealed in by the process. Well that is what the vocies in my head keep telling me.
And oh so delicious too. I like to inject them with hot sauce first. The cooking part is the best!!!!! Ar AR AR Ar Ar Ar Arrrrrrr. large flame, boiling oil, chance of explosion..... What could be better.

All you friers, safety first. Frier away from anything flamable. Kids away. Big gloves and apron. a couple of dry fire extiguishers. Not the hose!!!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 am

Our house gets pretty crazy I usually deep fry three turkeys and two ducks, My dad or myself usually smoke about nine slabs of ribs while the women in my family do all the indoor cooking which includes a bunch of stuff. For example homemade mac and cheese 7-layer salads, potatoe salad, yams, fried rice,greens, peach cobbler,chicken and anything else you can think of. If you haven't noticed my family is huge, but we have a great time together when we do it and thats the most important part about thanksgiving besides the food and football.

Be safe and enjoy your dinner everyone.

BF
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:34 am

Bodofish wrote:
Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:The outside is fried .. inside juices are sealed in by the process. Well that is what the vocies in my head keep telling me.
And oh so delicious too. I like to inject them with hot sauce first. The cooking part is the best!!!!! Ar AR AR Ar Ar Ar Arrrrrrr. large flame, boiling oil, chance of explosion..... What could be better.

All you friers, safety first. Frier away from anything flamable. Kids away. Big gloves and apron. a couple of dry fire extiguishers. Not the hose!!!!!
My buddy is from Louisiana. I let him do all the rub, the injection of his secret creole spices. I just make sure he is never w/o his silver bullets!
"One more......."

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:20 pm

racfish wrote:Im curious about the turdurken before I do mine.Different but good is scarey sounding.Hahaha.Does the gameyness of the duck overpower the chicken and turkey?Plus where does all the fat from the duck go.I remember making Peking Duck and had to drain the pan once during cooking.

yes i think the duck could defentely be overpowering. i dont like duck (thus the "different" comement). :chef:
funny this came up my ten year old daughter Gabbi asked if " we were have a turduckin again this year" i said no to many people coming over this year. her responce was "cool". i dont think she liked it.
it was a thing i had to do, we got ours from whole foods.
i would'nt poop poop it if offered at someones house but wont do it again at mine.
good luck.

:viking:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”