Lump Charcoal?

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
kingroobes
Petty Officer

Lump Charcoal?

Post by kingroobes » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05 pm

A while back I threw together a wood smoker out of some cedar scraps and for the most part it works great. The only problem is the current smoke generator I have is a hot plate with a cast Iron skillet that I throw chips on, It doesn't get hot enough. It Makes good jerky but it doesn't get hot enough for a hot smoke and I have to finish in the oven.

To solve this I was thinking I could use some real hardwood lump charcoal (not briquettes) and light those as a heat source along with some chips, and make some sort of tray on the bottom to prevent the bottom from burning. Does anyone smoke with lump charcoal? Where to buy it?

pic to show you what I'm working with
Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 6.49.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 6.49.48 PM.png (231.34 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Lump Charcoal?

Post by G-Man » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm

I use lump charcoal when using my barrel smoker. You can adjust the temperature by controlling the amount of air the charcoal/fire is given. For smoke, you just apply chips to the hot coals. In your application, it would be beneficial to install a chute at an angle to add chips to the pan and or coals without having to open the door to the smoker. With that large a space, opening the door you lose a great deal of heat.

Another thing to think about. With the height you have, you are going to have varying temps as you move up and away from your heat source. A standard cooking/meat thermometer can be inserted through a small hole in the side of the smoker and I'd put a hole every foot or so up one side.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Forgot to mention you can use just about any charcoal as long as it isn't match start/infused with starter fluid. The Mesquite infused Kingsford brand is good on meats and can be bought just about anywhere.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:46 am

KingRoobes,

I thought I read from you once that you are near Ballard. For Lump Charcoal you will find everything you need at
http://www.sutterhearth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This place GREAT for all things "Smoking/BBQ"" related. They also have a ton of variety of different woods for smoking. Not just in sawdust form, but in chunks.
It is located very close to Hale's Ales between Fremont and Ballard. (Freelard)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 am

At Cash n Carry they sell Mesquite Charcoal. Some pieces are large and some smaller. They last a good long time and at 15 bucks for a very large bag its worth it.

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:04 pm

G-Man wrote:I use lump charcoal when using my barrel smoker. You can adjust the temperature by controlling the amount of air the charcoal/fire is given. For smoke, you just apply chips to the hot coals. In your application, it would be beneficial to install a chute at an angle to add chips to the pan and or coals without having to open the door to the smoker. With that large a space, opening the door you lose a great deal of heat.

Another thing to think about. With the height you have, you are going to have varying temps as you move up and away from your heat source. A standard cooking/meat thermometer can be inserted through a small hole in the side of the smoker and I'd put a hole every foot or so up one side.

I actually have two seperate doors, the main big door on top and a smaller one on bottom for access to the pan. I keep the big door shut and it keeps the heat in fairly well. Making it so tall was probably a bit of a mistake that i didn't think about at the time. I may take the saws all and chop off a foot or two. Also do you soak the chips first?
The Quadfather wrote:KingRoobes,

I thought I read from you once that you are near Ballard. For Lump Charcoal you will find everything you need at
http://www.sutterhearth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This place GREAT for all things "Smoking/BBQ"" related. They also have a ton of variety of different woods for smoking. Not just in sawdust form, but in chunks.
It is located very close to Hale's Ales between Fremont and Ballard. (Freelard)
Sweet I think i have been there before, Ill check it out

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:18 pm

With such a tall enclosure, I would think about insulating it with something. They have several different types. Also, a small fan at the bottom to move the heat around would help as well. If it was well insulated, the temperature could be controlled a lot better. That's why some people make smokers out of refrigerators.

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:37 pm

natetreat wrote:With such a tall enclosure, I would think about insulating it with something. They have several different types. Also, a small fan at the bottom to move the heat around would help as well. If it was well insulated, the temperature could be controlled a lot better. That's why some people make smokers out of refrigerators.
Thats a good point, I haven't though about insulation. I have used a fan and that helps

jdfisher
Angler

Post by jdfisher » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Many "farm supply stores" will carry it. I get mine for Agnew Store in Agnew (just west of Sequim WA) on Old Olympic Hwy. 40 pound bag for about $24.00. I do all my bar b quing with it,,,, briquets have never touched the grill. If your smoker is actually fired/heated with the charcoal and only the charcoal I too would use only "real charcoal" but I would also ass some other wood(s) for smoke flavor. Apple, sherry, plum pear, peach and apricot are all fine, or any combination/mix. Also if you ever get a chance to get some citrus wood, it is wonderful both in the smoker or the bar b que. Grapevine is good too, specially the trunks of old ripped out vines, cut into (and split) to the proper/needed size.

One thought on the fruit woods is the "applied pesticide spray" residues. The thought of these residues, though small actually, does bother me so I use wild or as a second choice, organic fruit woods if at all possible. I know some here don't care about this, but I do so I give the warning thought.

I am new to this site and for sure this forum. I will be back.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”