Wild Duck

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Wild Duck

Post by yooper_fisher » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Since I'm currently making this I figured I'd share it with everyone. Anyone who hunts ducks/geese knows that they can have a strong liver taste. I've found one recipe that can mask it pretty well.

Ingredients:
2-4 wild ducks (breasted, skin removed, cut into bite sized pieces)
Seasoned Flour
Butter, Veg Oil, or Bacon Grease
1 bottle Cream Sherry
Large Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
Rice or Noodles (I prefer Rice)

Cook Time: 2-8 Hours (depending on your time available)

Take the duck breasts and dredge them in seasoned flour. Brown on each side in the oil (or butter or grease). After they are browned, add enough cream sherry to almost cover the meat, cover, and simmer, turning occasionally. Keep adding cream sherry to the pan to keep duck moist. Usually a little bit every 45-60 min. If I'm cooking for two I usually use a regular size bottle of sherry, if it's for a group a large bottle, and I use the whole bottle and condense it down (my dad only uses half a bottle). About 45-60 min before you're ready to serve add a can of cream of mushroom soup, stir, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally.

Serve over a bed of rice (my preferred method) or egg noodles)

I've made this for my non-meat eating fiance and she at least likes the sauce. When I make it for company, only about 1 in 10 complain that the duck tastes like liver. The longer you can simmer in the sherry, the better.

Rosann G
Commander

Re: Wild Duck

Post by Rosann G » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Sounds really good. I'll have to try it sometime.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Wonderful recipe!
I fed a couple pairs of wild city ducks that hung out on the patio and home depot ponds in the back yard today. I used to eat them, LOL, now, I feed them.... I must be getting old.. LOL
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

yooper_fisher
Lieutenant

Post by yooper_fisher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:46 am

MarkFromSea wrote:Wonderful recipe!
I fed a couple pairs of wild city ducks that hung out on the patio and home depot ponds in the back yard today. I used to eat them, LOL, now, I feed them.... I must be getting old.. LOL
LoL! I've always wanted to try city duck, figured they'd taste like bread and Mcdonalds [thumbsup]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 am

Can't be any worse than West side ducks in general. If they eat in the salt water, ick if they eat in the lakes snails and slugs.... errrrgg.... When I was much younger I used to shoot a lot of ducks at the mouth of the Nooksak and they were nasty but when you need them to feed the family...... I used to breast them and soak the breasts in milk I got from the farmer up the street, he would give it away when the cows got into something yummy. Took all the gamey and nasty out of the breasts and they were ready for the pot or the smoker after that.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 am

We eat Trout that live on shrimp meal and powerbait. We eat steelhead that just finished ten other baits with Smelly Jelly on it. We eat perch crappie and bass off artificial baits. How bad could a duck be. There was an article last week or so about a lady that traps those nasty greyish/red squirrels. I shoot them in the backyard and even the crows dont eat them. Now what gets me is Squab (Pidgeons) Yukkkkk :-& :-&
The duck recipe sounds great.Thank you for sharing it. Im gonna go get me a loaf of bread and use it as decoys.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 pm

"How bad could a duck be." Ooooohhhhhh racfish,,,,,,, The comparisons are endless. Bear that eat salmon in the rivers or garbage vs the ones eating mountain ash berries and such. Corn fed ducks in E WA, are like butter in comparison to any Wetside duck I have eaten. Best duck I ever had was stir fried diced breasts at Mar Don, no marinating, cooked right in the motel room on a camp stove... Yeah, they don't like that. LOL God! Those were the days!

The worst duck I ever tried to eat was a merganser off of the Yakima Res. LOL Couldn't git er licked since I couldn't get past the smell! LOL Young and dumb, I tried everything I could at least once.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

yooper_fisher wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:Wonderful recipe!
LoL! I've always wanted to try city duck, figured they'd taste like bread and Mcdonalds [thumbsup]
I've been known to feed em cracked corn, bread and chicken chow(Layena) here on the patio. Years past, before first light, we'd hear them land on the roof with a pretty good thud while we were drinking coffee. Since I raised quail at the time, we always had something good for them, even sweetbreads, donuts and stuff, $5 shopping cart full animal grade old breads/rolls bakery. They'd taste real good! I don't feed as often now, first time in like 6 months was this week. Might be scouting nesting areas. Two pair nested here last year. I can't kill enough raccoons though, I think only one survived out of about 15 ducklings. I don't want them nesting here this year, so I won't feed in any regular basis like last year and years previous.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Mark Im sitting here laughing my rear off. Thats good stuff. Remembering those good days of eating fresh kill on the campfire. LOL Reminds me of the old saying that I prolly should not write. So I wont. lol..Marc would git mad at me, then Mike will take the keys back to the new Ceasers Palace RV.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 pm

racfish wrote:Mark Im sitting here laughing my rear off. Thats good stuff. Remembering those good days of eating fresh kill on the campfire. LOL Reminds me of the old saying that I prolly should not write. So I wont. lol..Marc would git mad at me, then Mike will take the keys back to the new Ceasers Palace RV.
OK, I'll throw a guess out there: "If you can't kill it and grill it, then :-# :-" :-# it!" LMAO I'll never get the keys........

I'm going to try Yooper's recipe on some beef. More I think of it the more I gotta try it! [drool]

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 pm

While growing up we ate a lot of wild stuff. Red and gray tree rats, rabbits, even the odd raccoon. Plus about everything that swam or flew. Most was quite edible. Some my mother had to open the kitchen window while whatever it was cooked to let the stench out. An overnight soak in buttermilk usually made everything edible.
I rarely eat harvested critters from the westside of the Cascades, but on the eastside most are good to go. I figure that if you kill it-you eat it.
I used to live on the Sammamish Slough by Kenmore so I fished Lake Washington a lot. To get to the lake I'd have to go under the bridge that went up Juanita Drive and past the boat launch. There were always a lot of Heinz 57 mixed breed frankenducks there as it was a spot that people dumped their pets ducks off when they tired of them. There also was a large contingent of folks who enjoyed coming down there and feeding bread or whatever to the ducks. There also was an ethnic group who would come down and "harvest" ducks and geese by luring them to their vehicle and then slipping a garrote (a wire loop attached to a piece of broomstick) over the duck/goose's head and either break its neck or strangle it. Peta probably didn't like it but it kept the population from getting out of hand. After I moved, the thing that I missed the least about living on the slough was having to hose off the droppings from back deck, picnic tables, walkways, and yard.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”