Eating salmon roe

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Eating salmon roe

Post by natetreat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 am

Sashimi is better when the fish is chilled really cold, but is definitely an acquired taste. I'm a big fan. Not of bait though. Next up: milt!

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:46 am

MotoBoat wrote: That is about the time the wife, stealthily appeared on the back deck, at my six! Wifee asked "male or female"? I answered "ever eat a raw, fresh caught salmon egg"? As, I turned toward her and popped one in the pie hole. For her, the gag reflex immediately jump started itself.

I'm surprised you made it back to shore in one piece! =D>

Never had salmon roe, but I guess I should try it sometime as I've had caviar in other, different forms before; beluga, tabico...

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 pm

natetreat wrote:Sashimi is better when the fish is chilled really cold, but is definitely an acquired taste. I'm a big fan. Not of bait though. Next up: milt!
I happily eat those eggs [flapper] about once or twice a year......... There is no way I'm ever eating milt [drool] !!! [scared] I'm just not that way! LOL
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:16 pm

gonnahookit wrote:
MotoBoat wrote: That is about the time the wife, stealthily appeared on the back deck, at my six! Wifee asked "male or female"? I answered "ever eat a raw, fresh caught salmon egg"? As, I turned toward her and popped one in the pie hole. For her, the gag reflex immediately jump started itself.

I'm surprised you made it back to shore in one piece! =D>

Never had salmon roe, but I guess I should try it sometime as I've had caviar in other, different forms before; beluga, tabico...
That is funny right there Moto! My only question would be, why only one egg at a time? The experience of the texture and creaminess of a mouth full is a far superior experience. [thumbsup]

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Well Mark, this was the first time. Stepped in rather cautious like. Now I know what to expect. Was real good! On the other hand, I had to consider where I was sleeping that night.........inside.............. or outside with the eggs.. : :-k

I'll take another turn at them eggs. Now that I think about it. Could be a hook hidden in a handful........ [blink]

Nate, there will be no spilt milt coming from these lips. If it doesn't go in, it can't spill out. There is just somthin wrong with that much testosterone, entering another mans pie hole.

toxicavengr
Petty Officer

Post by toxicavengr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 pm

One of my neighbors is a German lady with a very thick accent and she eats the sperm sacs, [scared] I guess she pan fries them.. [blink] She calls it milkna and she told me not to throw any out....
On another note, years ago, I bet my buddy a dollar he wouldn't eat a "Balls-o-fire" salmon egg right out of the little jar... I fell down laughing after I saw the look on his face! He said it took two days to get the taste out of his mouth! LMAO Best dollar I ever spent!

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Racfish. its time to find a better job!
I tryed salmon roe salted and well drained... Must be a better way to make them up. Unless some one serves me some roe with a better taste I think I will save my roe for bait!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:28 am

Americans need their burgers and fries. Most all my friends are meat and potatoe eaters. Very few try other things. Ive tried so many different foods. If properly prepared its all very good. Ive puked a few times myself trying different food items such as placentas,blood,fugu. I'll puke drinking buttermilk. Ive tried lots of foods when in my younger traveling days.Both roe and milts are delicious. Just don't tell yourself its BAIT. I'll eat eggs right from the salmon unsalted. Now I probably wouldn't eat eggs from a salmon from the Duwamish,Puyallup,Snohomish areas just due to the horrible pollution.Now I know Mark must have had raw tuna cut fresh from his catch. Fresh tuna ,ahi,albacore,Wahoo etc is awesome.The fresher the better.Now milts for me need to be fried. egg wash ,flour,egg wash then Panko and fried. If they are not fresh I wouldn't eat them. I'll make you all a bet. Next time you cook a king or silver leave the head on. The head of a large king are filled with goodies. The cheeks are awesome,the brain sack is great.That chunk of meat above the gills are good also. Just don't put in your mind that its bait.You do have to be careful with lice,worms,moldy spots on certain fish. Like Andrew Zimmern says."If It Looks Good, Eat It"

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:48 am

toxicavengr wrote:One of my neighbors is a German lady with a very thick accent and she eats the sperm sacs, [scared] I guess she pan fries them.. [blink] She calls it milkna and she told me not to throw any out....
On another note, years ago, I bet my buddy a dollar he wouldn't eat a "Balls-o-fire" salmon egg right out of the little jar... I fell down laughing after I saw the look on his face! He said it took two days to get the taste out of his mouth! LMAO Best dollar I ever spent!
See, now that is the reason I thought raw fish eggs would be fishyeee, salty, despicable table fare. At some point, placing Balls-o-Fire on the hook, casting, then reaching for a cookie. Hitchhiked enough Balls-0-huck-to-ee cured eggs, onto the cookie, and delivered unknowingly to the taste buds. Wow, not good! What a shock, and surprising no thank you that is! A rancid version of the fresh variety.

If you've never tried one. Eating a fresh salmon egg is nothing like the taste of a cured Balls-0-nastyness. As far as Milkna goes, your neighbor has first dibs on any male fish I catch.

Ever try "rocky mountain oysters"? That's a taste not for everyone.....one taste, was enough for yours truly! From what I recall from close to 25 years ago. Was a similar taste, and texture to deep fried liver.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:56 am

Of the different varieties of oysters available. Swine was served on the farm that memorable day!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:30 pm

On the very rare occasion, fresh caught mackerel is the best flavored sushi the PNW has to offer! BUT, it's texture is only good for maybe a half hour after catching here... even when placed on ice immediately. IDK why. After a half hour, it's bottom fish bait due to the texture! Truly, there is none better! Albacore is sooooo mild.... it's more about what you garnish the sushi with. Salmon is superior to albacore in it's flavor when strictly looking at sushi. IMO

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Mackerel is delicious when first caught. After an hour the aroma is a killa. I took my makerel home and cooked it. I couldnt get the smell out of my house for days LOL. It reminded me of Lamprey ells. When properly cooked they are great. But again the smell is something else.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:05 pm

I've never cooked em.... sounds like a familiar saying Rac.... Are you inferring that once you get past the smell, you've got it licked or is that "liked"?

Maybe a redneck RSW would hold them longer.... seawater, ice and additional salt... small cooler filled with ice, add salt and seawater..... add whole mackerel... might work.... the result is frozen whole mackerel in short order.

coeumo
Angler

Post by coeumo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 pm

My dad taught me to hold the Pautzke eggs in my cheek while fishing, always had a replacement egg handy quick when I needed it. Of course now that I'm older I'm thinking WTF dad? Too bad he passed before I got back in to fishing as an adult so now I can't ask him what the hell he was thinking? Spent alot of time with those things in my mouth as a kid working creeks and rivers. Ah, good memories.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 am

I remember holding eggs in my lower gum area. I was told it firms the egg while fishing. Patsukes probably aren't lethal to eat but they have been treated so I wouldn't pop one in the mouth to find out.

Fried milt is good. My grandmother used to egg/wash flour and fry them. They are tasty. As long as you don't ponder on what they are. Salmon head is another treat. The cheeks and the upper head area are good also.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”