Pink recipes??

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Pink recipes??

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am

Koda that is priceless,the way you wrote it. Hahahaha Good one.
You were very brave at 2 day old pinks.

Chucksrage
Petty Officer

Post by Chucksrage » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am

I have 2 pink recipes I like.

1) Honey Mustard Glazed Pink

Small handful of Basil Leaves chopped fine.
Honey
Dijon Mustard
Pine Nuts
Pinch of Salt

Heat the honey and mustard in a small pan and mix well till boiling, turn off heat and let cool 5 minutes add salt, basil and pine nuts to pan and mix together. let cool to room temperature, Filet and bone the pink place filet on cedar plank skin side down remove any excess water/liquid from fish. Cover the fish with mixture and let stand for 30 minutes. cook on BBQ until fish is flaky

#2)
I used this a lot in my younger days as it can make a ok fish taste like a great fish.

Take the pink and split it down the center along the backbone all the way to the tail. lay on large piece of foil. sprinkle salt, Lemon Pepper, Garlic and pepper on the fish, then slice an onion into rings and cover on one side of the fish(Walla Walla are best) then take a whole lemon and cut in half, set one half to the side and the other slice into rings about 1/4 inch think, lay the slices of lemon over the onion, close the fish back up with the onions and lemon inside, Wrap with foil to make a airtight pouch.

There are 2 cooking methods,

1) place on top rack of dishwasher and run through entire wash cycle using heated drying. when done serve.(Be sure to place on the side of the top rack, if you place in the center you will most likely get a hole in the pouch and fish)
2) place in Oven and cook for about 20 minutes at 375(or until pouch puffs up like a balloon)
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 am

Thats a very expensive method of cooking (running the dishwasher). Especially for Pinks. Its a novel idea though.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 am

Last night I made my pesto. I took a butterflied pink fresh from the Snoho covered the meat side with it. I cooked it on a bed of lettuce leaves on the Traeger at 275 degrees. It was very good. Well not very good but it made the fish a lil bit more tastey. Im not a real big fan of eating pinks so Ive been trying to add some pizzaz to the pinks meat.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Old family recipe that works even later in the season. Slice onions, garlic, bacon and put inside fish. Heat oven to 300 and cook fish for 2 hours inside burlap sack. Take it out, throw away the fish, eat the sack! Yummy!

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:29 am

So my brine for pinks is a dry brine. I've found it's best to brine them for around 5 hours. With almost half the day gone for brining is it possible for me to....brine 5 hours, dry them for a few hours to create pellicle, then Put them back Into the fridge to be smoked the next day???

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 pm

4 cups dark brown suger, 3/4 cups kosher salt. Layer portion size fillets skin side to skin side, covering completely each layer with brown sugar. Let sit in the fridge for 2 days. Rinse and dry on a drying rack. Put them in the smoker, smoke with two pans of cherry, finish off with a pan of apple. About a 6 hour smoke.

This is how I cook my pinks.

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 pm

I gotta share one of my new favorites: Salmon curry

In a pot on the stove heat up a can of coconut milk (full fat), about a tablespoon of fish sauce, fresh grated ginger, red curry paste to taste depending on how spicy you want. Poach chunks of skinless salmon in the sauce until cooked. add some lime juice and dump it over rice.
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:57 pm

That sounds awesome. I would do that with true cod or ling cod too. [thumbup]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:54 am

In a heart beat!!!! I'd probably use an alternative to the full fat coconut as it's about the cloggingest fat around but none the less a very tasty entre.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Bodofish wrote:In a heart beat!!!! I'd probably use an alternative to the full fat coconut as it's about the cloggingest fat around but none the less a very tasty entre.
Actually coconut fat is about the healthiest kind of fat on the planet. Some people swear by coconut oil as a cure all but I wouldn't go that far. It is great for boosting metabolism though
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:20 am

There are different types of coconut also. I buy the white immature ones. Or at Costco I get the Vita Coco. drink containers. I use the coconut water when making white rice or quinoa. Its much different the the sweetened condensed coconut milk. Coco water dosent boost my glycemic rate where the canned version shoots it straight up. The recipe still sounds great. I did go to the Tienda and got some coconut milk in the can.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”