Smoking salmon problem

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
Primevci
Petty Officer

RE:Smoking salmon problem

Post by Primevci » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Im gonan get oen of these.... i did a batch of beef jerky in low 40's and it didnt turn out quite right on the side of the smoker that was facing off the porch i herd this makes all the diff in the world...

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/pc/S ... p43899.htm

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Primevci wrote:Im gonan get oen of these.... i did a batch of beef jerky in low 40's and it didnt turn out quite right on the side of the smoker that was facing off the porch i herd this makes all the diff in the world...

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/pc/S ... p43899.htm
Very nice! Not too expensive either..I will forward that off to my other smoking newbs. :cheers:
"One more......."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:25 pm

You can buy that material at any hardware store. A little packaging tape and you're good to go for under $10.00. I know I have a roll of the stuff in the garage. Hummmmm..... the box works just fine.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:53 pm

yeah 25 bucks for a fitted product that isnt flameable sounds good to me plus i threw my buck away along time ago... also it says in the manual not to do this becuase of people catching it on fire....

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:You can buy that material at any hardware store. A little packaging tape and you're good to go for under $10.00. I know I have a roll of the stuff in the garage. Hummmmm..... the box works just fine.
Sounds even better!
"One more......."

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:11 am

Bodofish wrote:
RaMcVey wrote:
Bodofish wrote:First let me say, no water pans for smoking fish. They are for smoking meat.
Really? I use water in my tray for almost everything except jerky. Now most of the time when I smoke salmon, its a thicker cut for dinner and I use a higher temp. Even when I would smoke it for snacking I use water.

What would be the benifit other than drying the salmon out more?

Rich
Are you smoking the fish or steaming the fish? I like a good poached salmon as much as the next guy.......

The water can soften the pelicule allowing the moisture you've sealed in to escape.
I see your point. I'll give it a try next time. Got 6 days off next week, will have plenty of time then. Thanks.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”