SQUID TIME

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

SQUID TIME

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 am

Im looking forward to Squidding this long weekend. I love the small 3-5 inch squid. They are so much sweeter and tender then the larger ones. I do a marinated squid using oliveoil/orange & lemon juice with lots of garlic marinade.Now of course nothing beats fried calamari in my books.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Re: SQUID TIME

Post by DavidA » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:26 am

Racfish: I'm glad you posted this. I likely won't be trout fishing this weekend and have thought about trying squidding seriously, but just not lately! This is just the nudge I need. If successful, you can be sure I'll post my success here! Best of luck!

big2wheel
Angler

Post by big2wheel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 am

Ditto. Maybe you could give some suggestions on where and how, rackfish .. I do have a couple od squid jigs I have never used. I don't know how. I just may try Edmonds one night

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:24 pm

a couple guys have been doing well at pt. defiance out in the boats during the day. some pretty big ones this year.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:58 am

I'm also gonna start hitting the piers here pretty soon. I LOOOOOOVE squid! Got my spotlight and light action rod ready to go!

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:31 pm

picked up 9 the other night. Pretty fun!

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:55 pm

was watching one of the boathouse regulars squidding off the dock at pt. defiance this afternoon. got 1 about 13" and an octopus plus lost several squid that chewed up his herring pretty good. nothing paid attention to the jigs. he's been doing well during the day on bait.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Squid has been slow. I've been learning a lot from the Asians at the piers. Even they say it's slow compared to past years. They said last year they would be filling their buckets in December, and now they sit out there all night (I've sat out there with them) and they hit maybe a couple per hour, maybe a bit more if some big schools roll through.

Seems like the squid are following suit with the salmon/steelhead. Hopefully they're just late and it won't turn out to be a crappy season.

I've fished Dash Point, Redondo and Des Moines. My favorites so far are Dash Point and Redondo...but they are slow for sure. My best night so far has been about 20 squid, 10 of which were jumbos. A school of jumbos came through and it was as easy as dropping your jigs straight down to the bottom, let it rest for a couple seconds, lift up and your pole bends with a jumbo! That went on for about 20 minutes straight...that's the best action I've had so far.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”