Masterbuilt digital electric smoker

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
MotoBoat
Commodore

Re: Masterbuilt digital electric smoker

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote: I just brush off the curd once an hour.
What is used to brush off the curd? I have tried a cotton towel, and a rubber bristle brush used for mopping on the sauce. With marginal success. Some smoked fish looked like a light layer of mustard was applied, after sweeping off the curd.

Did not like the appearance of those filets at all. But the relatives eating it, said that was my best work yet. So much for looks......lol! Close yer eyes an feast on the filets. What I am having trouble with is keeping as much moisture in the fish as possible, and not be under done. I much prefer moist smoked fish as apposed to dry. Dry to me, has almost a chalky texture.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 pm

MotoBoat wrote:
What is used to brush off the curd? I have tried a cotton towel, and a rubber bristle brush used for mopping on the sauce. With marginal success. So before me smoked fish looked like a light layer of mustard was applied, after sweeping off the curd.

Did not like the appearance of those filets at all. But the relatives eating it, said that was my best work yet. So much for looks......lol! Close yer eyes an feast on the filets. What I am having trouble with is keeping as much moisture in the fish as possible, and not be under done. I much prefer moist smoked fish as apposed to dry. Dry to me, has almost a chalky texture.
I baste mine with a honeywater baste once an hour. Before I baste I use the basting brush to brush off any curd that has formed. The baster is almost like a stiff paint brush.
My smoker is outside, so I can brush the curd onto the ground, then shake the curd off into the lawn before dipping it into the honeywater. [razz]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks Gringo! I baste, as you do. Only using maple syrup. The other thing is, manually removing the curd involves handing each peace of fish or handling each rack of fish. Which, the later is heavy and hard on the wrist. Plus all that handling is a pain. While the smoker cools off. I can baste without removing a rack or a filet, and is very ifficient as compared to curd flicking. I flick it outside on the lawn, and make certain that is not in my lane of travel. A mixture of curd and maple syrup in the house, not good! But the dogs shure follow behind......yum! [thumbsup]

How long of a dry time do you give the fish? Open air, fridge or how is Gringo drying the filets?

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:58 am

MotoBoat wrote:
What is used to brush off the curd? I have tried a cotton towel, and a rubber bristle brush used for mopping on the sauce. With marginal success. Some smoked fish looked like a light layer of mustard was applied, after sweeping off the curd.

The real trick is getting no curd at all. If you heat the fish gently enough and it was brined sufficiently then you will get little or no curd, and a much better quality product.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:06 am

rcthepirate wrote:
MotoBoat wrote:

The real trick is getting no curd at all. If you heat the fish gently enough and it was brined sufficiently then you will get little or no curd, and a much better quality product.
You get the protein coming out of the fillets because of inadequate drying prior to smoking and or not enough air circulation. For most of the little smokers you can alleviate the problem by only filling it half full and spacing it out. Slow it down and lower the heat and remember to dry it for a good 24 hours unless you have a nice fan setup....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”