Fishing Food

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Fishing Food

Post by racfish » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:50 am

In another thread of this forum I was writing about how we would cook up meals along the river while plunking steelies. I had two good friends I fished with in the 70's and 80's.We all worked as cooks or restaurant trade. We would start the night before. We split up the meals among us and wed all bring our portion of the meal. One would bring diced potatoes with onions. the other would bring a fry pan of eggs,and wed usually have Linguisa (Portuguese) sausage with BBQ sauce. We used to really create a great breakfast on the river while plunking using our campfire. Along with a thermos or two with coffee wed be set. Of couse by 1:00 in the afternoon wed all be dieing of tummy aches.
I havent cooked like this on the rivers for quite a few years now. Building fires along the Green is prohibbited in populated areas.On payday weekends wed spluge a lil more graduating to sauteed chicken livers or pork tenderloin medallions marinated. Does any of you family guys cook on the river anymore? If so What y'all make?

tlang
Petty Officer

Re: Fishing Food

Post by tlang » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:23 pm

I try to take my 13 yr old son out as much as possible. He doesnt like to fish but we do all sorts of stuff, from shooting to building shelters. Most of the time while Im fishing he is scouting for a place to build a shelter and fire. (out in the woods not on the green) Ill generally just throw small spinners in the holes within earshot. I try to come back with a decent trout to cook up on his fire. I think it gives him a since of purpose as opposed to randomly burning stuff. (what do I know though he is a teenager) Many times we have sat down and snacked on some trout then hiked back out. I believe outings like this are very important to establish trust and communication.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 am

Ive asked this question before ,but we have such a large diverse group of folks here I always like hearing post like yours. I did the same with my step kid. Used to take my lil webber and catch some perch trout bass or walleye and cook them up at the campsite. I learned from my dad who did the same with me. Sons love fire for some reason. Ive singed many a hair and many leaders and lines in our fires.
My favorite spot was Cama Beach on Camano. They had lil cabins and bungalows on the water. The iceboxes were the type you had to put a block of ice in . There was a community out/house. The only heat was a wood stove in the kitchen. I have great memories of that place.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 am

We plunk on the snohomish every winter with fires, but our breakfast is usaully hostess doughnuts and cowboy coffee. Almost time to go rebuild our shelter for the year!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:We plunk on the snohomish every winter with fires, but our breakfast is usaully hostess doughnuts and cowboy coffee. Almost time to go rebuild our shelter for the year!
What is Cowboy coffee? My imagination say's, thick like chile. Just may be some chili in there! Or something spiked with cowboy spirits. Your killing me with anticipation, what's in it?

I never acquired the taste for coffee. Perhaps I am not making it right.......LOL!

Now that I have considered it. Sounds straight up black, is my answer........Yuuummm. IF that is the case, I'll take my coffee with spirits, hold the coffee!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Growing up we'd catch trout, clean em but leave the heads on, then skewer them through the mouth and into the tail and roast em over the fire like hotdogs. We'd also wrap potatoes, carrots, onions & meat in aluminum foil and toss em in the coals for awhile to cook. We had a name for them but I cannot remember it now. Can't wait to do that stuff with my daughter..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 am

I say Cowboy coffee is what in my days was rot gut coffee. When youre out fishing freezing your huevos off any warm to hot coffee is great. Even 7-11 coffee is good at times. Cowboy coffee is water and coffee in a pot of water,when it turns dark its ready.
We used to call coal made potatoe "Taters or Spuds" We would go to Owens or Western meats and get their slab bacon end pieces and cook them up with potatoes and onions in a skillet. All food taste better made on a fire.Maybe it was the ambiance of the campfire that does it. we made these awesome stoves with swiveling grills.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:23 am

cowboy coffee- put some coffee grounds and water in a pot, bring to a boil, then throw a little cold water in which makes the grounds sink to the bottom. Then try and sit still while your waiting for your pole to go off!

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”