outboard motor security

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
P-FITZ98
Angler

outboard motor security

Post by P-FITZ98 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:53 pm

After almost 1 agonizing year since someone "borrowed" my motor off my boat, Im breaking down and getting a new 20hp Merc 4strk to replace the 2000 15hp(that Im now convinced wont be returned).I know some of you have experinced the same,but just looking for ideas so it doesnt happen again.I like the looks of the Fulton(?) lock and the McGaurd locking bolts. Chain and lock to trailer? What has and hasnt worked for others?

Big D

RE:outboard motor security

Post by Big D » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 am

Hey P-FITZ98,
I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your outboard.
IMHO...A Fulton lock or locking bolts will help a little by causing the thieves to spend more time removing your motor but the difference in the amount of time it takes with or without a locking system is only a few seconds. I think that the most secure way to store your boat & motor would be inside a lockable garage or storage facility and I’m guessing at this point that is not an option for you or you would have not lost your first motor. The number of outboard motors being stolen is rising every day as they are a very high priority target for thieves because of the low risk and high return. If I was you I would go ahead and install a locking system of your choice and purchase really good insurance that includes replacement value or you could use the type of security system that I use.

Meet my dog, Max
The effect he has had on the tweeker population in my neighborhood is truly amazing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 am

There is only one way to secure an outboard of any size. Take it off and put it in the garage when it's not in use. It takes less than three minutes to take an outboard of any size. Small ones under a minute.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 am

Out of sight out of mind. If you can't secure the entire boat indoors you need to take the motor off and store it indoors. You can buy roll around outboard carts from companies like Cabelas for around $100. Add on locks will only slow them down, not stop them. Unfortunately there is such a large no questions asked market for small outboards that its easy money for the risk involved.
Life's short - fish hard!

wishniwasfishn
Petty Officer

Post by wishniwasfishn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Should you be in a situation where you have to leave it on your boat use a heavy cable and a shielded pad lock. Cable is very hard to cut with bolt cutters and a shielded lock should help to discourage theses clowns and maybe they will leave your motor alone, I would also through bolt it and take it to a welder and ask him or her to tack the nuts so they cant be taken off with normal tools. Good luck and welcome back to boating !!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 pm

[cursing] Man that was spendy.#-o That small of an out board would be in side when not in use.[thumbup]

Big D has a good anti theft program !![scared]
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

medic1
Petty Officer

Post by medic1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am

I would also through bolt it and take it to a welder and ask him or her to tack the nuts so they cant be taken off with normal tools.
This works. Buy your bolts an inch longer than needed and take a welder to the last inch of threads. If the motor ever needs to be removed take a cut off wheel and removed the welded threads then you can remove the nuts