Outboard Question

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
stanford
Petty Officer

Outboard Question

Post by stanford » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 pm

I recently got a steal of a deal on a boat from the North RIver store in Oregon. Basically my question is, so I have the 115 outboard I want to a get a seperate lower unit for a prop instead of using the jet all the time. How much does a lower unit for a new yamaha engine cost? Is it easy to install, and who sells them near Seattle? Thanks:bounce:
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Outboard Question

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:15 am

Shop 1 hour conversion you maybe a 2 hour gig once you get it dialed in and its very simple I have 2 buds with outboards Harborcrafts who use there tubs in the bay in the summer using the prop:-$ and then swith back late fall for rivers and back to the pump.:-$

Any shop can do tis conversion call many on prices to match the hatch and buyers beware the market is for the consumer..:cheers:

Great combination of useage:cheers:

As far as the tub NR Tubs :colors: :clown: :-({|= is gone and you have zero warrenty support so be smart on repairs and where you stick her and= (Performance Marine in Everett) right before the boat launch going in on the corner on the water front would give you a cost on all and labor be ready almost all shops support a $$95 dollar and up on labor per hour!!!

Many much more:batman:

Fish on!!!

Get the book and information there is one and do this yourself you will know its done correctly and save $$$ year in and out!!!!

With a 115hp how wide and long is the metal/tub???
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:18 am

Shop 1 hour conversion you maybe a 2 hour gig once you get it dialed in and its very simple I have 2 buds with outboards Harborcrafts who use there tubs in the bay in the summer using the prop:-$ and then swith back late fall for rivers and back to the pump.:-$

Any shop can do tis conversion call many on prices to match the hatch and buyers beware the market is for the consumer..:cheers:

Great combination of useage:cheers:

You must have a 10 degree hull or less?

As far as the tub NR Tubs :colors: :clown: :-({|= is gone and you have zero warrenty support so be smart on repairs and where you stick her and= Performance Marine in Everett on the water front would give you a cost on all and labor be ready almost all shops support a $$95 dollar and up on labor per hour!!!

Many much more:batman:

Fish on!!!

Get the book and information there is one and do this yourself you will know its done correctly and save $$$ year in and out!!!!

With a 115hp how wide and long is the metal/tub???

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:20 am

The motor originally came with a prop so there is a lower unit out there somewhere begging to be used. The OB Jet pumps all come from one manufacturer, Outboard Jet Corp. in CA. They hold the patent and aren't about to let it go.
Not to get all North River or anything but I went to the Auction in Kenmoore and most people were paying way to much for the boats they got. A new boat with no MFG. Warranty. Makes no sense to me even at a "stole it price". Back to the question at hand. They had a a whole row of lower units for sale that were left over after the jet conversions. They are out there. Shop hard.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

stanford
Petty Officer

Post by stanford » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:09 pm

The boat is a new Scout Lite Sled 18' I have fished Saltwater my whole life, I'm from NorCal so Salt is the name of the game. I'm new to the whole river business, but so far I have caught two sturgeon and limits of Kokanee so she is one fine TUB. I would never buy another windshield boat, I let my dad buy the offshore boat. I'm happy that I got this brand of boat, but I know what you mean that they have no warrantys.
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 pm

The main point was there should be plenty of lower units around for you to buy. Just a little searching may be needed. I'd try Craigs List and hit up some of the Yami dealers. Auburn Sports, Three Mules and a Dog..........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Craigslist, ebay, shop around. Lower units are EVERYWHERE.

Also consider doing a Bay Mfg kit. For about 70% of the outboards out there, you can pick up a Bay kit that will allow 5 bolt lower unit swaps in 30 minutes. You have to have your system down, and know what you are doing, but fast swaps are possible. Certain boats have a shaft extension below the oil pan bearing, some are above it and won't work, but thats very specific to each engine.

The units are designed to fill the 5" gap that will put the cavitation plate at the right level without changing the height of the engine. The people are great and easy to work with, and have excellent shipping and return policies. Those that fish the rivers in AK swear by them so they can blast up the bays on the prop, then switch to the slower, less efficient pumps for just shallow water work.

http://www.baymfg.com/yamaha.asp

E

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:48 pm

It's not just a matter of getting a prop lower unit. The prop lower unit will be far deeper in the water than if it had been a prop transom to begin with. The cheapest way to get the motor at the right height is to use a transom jack. Be very careful if you elect to use aftermarket lower unit parts as they will void your factory engine warranty.
Life's short - fish hard!

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 am

W, on the boats Ive owned and been on, the leg was too short with the prop. Had to either add the 5" Bay kit to get the cav plate in the water or use a jackplate as you suggest.

E